Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Wednesday Reads and I’m Safe from Tornadoes…so far

Storms ripped through Dayton on Memorial Day evening, including tornadoes. One came as close as four miles from our house (closer to our previous residence). Hubby’s work was affected in that they didn’t have any water or internet, and the new manufacturing plant they were planning on opening in 30 days was pretty much destroyed.

At first I was annoyed at all the weather alerts, and the fact the local NBC station took over the hockey game after the first period (yes, I was watching the Stanley Cup Finals). Why the station couldn’t scroll the information, or even show picture in picture, I’ll never know. It’s not like the information wasn’t on five other stations (the storms were still in Indiana at this time, not exactly the Dayton market)!

Once the game was over (which we were able to stream via the NBC Sports App), I paid more attention to the storms. Then again, they were almost in our area by that time (although, if we had lost power at any time, I would have headed for the closet—the only place in this house that doesn’t have a window). We were the fortunate ones, though. Never lost power. Wind barely kicked up. Lots of lightning, though and the rain was very heavy (but no hail, whereas it hailed about three miles from us).

More storms are expected as I post this, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed it ends up being a quieter night.

Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #25

Dates read: May 13-23
Title: Deadly Curiosities
Year of publication: 2014
Author: Gail Z. Martin
Genre: Paranormal mystery
Series:  Deadly Curiosities #1
# of Pages: 458
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Welcome to Trifles & Folly, a store with a dark secret.
    Proprietor Cassidy Kincaide continues a family tradition begun in 1670 – acquiring and neutralizing dangerous supernatural items. It’s the perfect job for Cassidy, whose psychic gift lets her touch an object and know its history. Together with her business partner Sorren, a 500-year-old vampire and former jewel thief, Cassidy makes it her business to get infernal objects off the market.
    When a trip to a haunted hotel unearths a statue steeped in malevolent power, and a string of murders draws a trail to the abandoned old Navy yard, Cassidy and Sorren discover a diabolical plot to unleash a supernatural onslaught on their city.
    It’s time for Kincaide and her team to get rid of these Deadly Curiosities before the bodies start piling up.
My thoughts: I didn’t enjoy this so much. Not because it’s a bad book, because it’s not the type of book I enjoy reading. But I wanted to give the author a try since I’ve seen her at Dragon Con several years (and I am trying to read more new-to-me authors this year). Well, now I can say I read one of her books. No, I won’t keep reading the series. That’s not to say you wouldn’t enjoy the book. If you like detailed mysteries, with a lot of magic, then give it a try. It’s a very well written book. Heads up: there is a bit of gore, but absolutely no romantic anything in this book (which isn’t why I didn’t like it—it was just too detailed for my taste).  

So… What’s the closest you’ve been to a tornado? I think one went over our home while we were stationed at Ft. Rucker, Alabama back in the late 80s. It was night and very windy and I heard what sounded like a freight train. There were no reports of one touching down, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. Those suckers scare me.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Glad you're okay!

The closest I've been to a tornado was several hundred yards, but it was too dark to see anything.

I remember once being in the eye of a storm. The sky was green and there was no sound at all. No birds, no bugs. Within minutes it changed and it felt as if the world was tearing itself apart. Makes you feel very insignificant.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Several hundred yards? Yikes!