Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Wednesday Reads and Happy 4th of July!

Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #30

Dates read: June 25-29
Title: After Dark
Year of publication: 2000
Author: Jayne Castle (Jayne Ann Krentz)
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series:  Ghost Hunters #1
# of Pages: 332
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Life is tough these days for Lydia Smith, licensed para-archaeologist. Seriously stressed-out from a nasty incident in an alien tomb, she is obliged to work part-tie in Shrimpton’s House of Ancient Horrors, a very low-budget museum. She has a plan to get her career back on track, but it isn’t going well. Stuff keeps happening
    Take the dead body that she discovered in one of the sarcophagus exhibits. Who needed that? Finding out that her new client, Emmett London, is one of the most dangerous men in the city isn’t helping matters either. And that’s just today’s list of setbacks. Here in the shadows of the Dead City of Old Cadence, things don’t really heat up until
After Dark.
My thoughts: This book was NOTHING like I thought it was going to be. I was looking for a ghost book (something similar to what I write). Not even close. I can’t even say that the things that are called ghosts are actual ghosts (or at least what we consider ghosts). This book is set in a futuristic time, on a planet we apparently populated a couple of hundred years before. Yet, everything is kind of old-fashioned (no space ships, no internet, no cell phones???) with some magic stuff thrown in. I enjoyed it okay, it was cute, but I won’t bother with the rest of the series.

 Book #31

Dates read: June 30-July 2
Title: Dirty Secrets
Year of publication: 2014
Author: Karen Rose
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series:  Romantic suspense #4.5
# of Pages: 130
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Emma Townsend is astonished when she comes across a love letter tucked away in an old high school year book, written by her once dear friend Chris Walker. Having never seen it until now, the letter has taken seventeen years to touch Emma’s heart. Now she’s determined to find Chris and maybe even get a second chance at romance.
    For Chris, now a college professor, seeing Emma again has brought back a flood of memories, rekindling a passion he thought was long gone. But in the shadows, someone is watching Emma and Chris, someone nursing revenge, and plunging Emma into a nightmare where no one can be trusted and every dirty little secret is sealed with a kiss.
My thoughts: Mmmm… A nice little romantic suspense to whet my appetite for a larger romantic suspense. I’m hooked on Karen Roses’s stories so I think I’ll read a few in a row now.

I am sooooo behind in my reading. Thirteen books behind schedule! But you know what? I don’t care. I always seem to panic around this time and then I manage to reach my goal. And I should do the same this time because you know why? I’ve got two cruises coming up this year! Getting my Nook stocked up for them, too. Even I have to admit it’s easier to carry around. I still don’t like them, but it’s better than lugging books around.

So… Got any plans for the 4th of July? Tonight we’ll be going to the Dragons game, which will feature fireworks. And then when we leave the park, we can enjoy Dayton’s fireworks. But tomorrow? Nope, not doing a darn thing (although Hubby does want to use the grill).

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Two cruises? Lucky you.
Nope, not doing anything or going anywhere tomorrow.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - We actually have THREE booked, but one is in 2020. We love cruising!