Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Reading Update and WiFi Frustration

I paid for an internet plan on this cruise because I had some work I had to do (expected to get my edits back on Finding the Perfect Mate, which I did), plus, I guess you could say I’m a public figure now (haha), so I figured I would just charge it as a business expense. Sometimes I think I should have saved my money. Just trying to get an internet connection on my laptop has been a challenge. My phone hasn’t been that bad, but I can’t do everything on my phone (not that I’d want to).

Nighttime is the worst, when everyone is up and using the ship’s wifi (or so it seems). In the past I’ve been able to get online in the morning. But on Tuesday morning, I couldn’t get anything to open. So if you’re reading this on Wednesday morning (when I normally post), consider it a miracle!!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #52

Dates read: December 11-13
Title: Every Last Breath
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Juno Rushdan
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series:  Final Hour #1
# of Pages: 309
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads:. Maddox Kinkade is an expert at managing the impossible. Tasked with neutralizing a lethal bioweapon, she turns to the one person capable of helping her stop the threat of pandemic in time: the love of her life, back from the dead and mad as hell at her supposed betrayal. Recruiting Cole to save millions of lives may be harder than resisting the attraction still burning between them, but Maddox will do whatever it takes...even if it destroys her.
    When Maddox crashes back into Cole Matthews' life, he wants to fight back. He wants to hate her. But the crisis is too strong to ignore, and soon the two former lovers find themselves working side-by-side in a breakneck race to stop a world-class killer with a secret that could end everything.
My thoughts: This was a suspenseful book. Not so sure I cared for the ending (sort of cliffhanger-ish), but it’s not bad enough for me not to read the next book in this series.  

Book #53

Dates read: December 14-17
Title: The Haunting of Hill House
Year of publication: 1959 (introduction 2006)
Author: Shirley Jackson
Genre: Horror
Series:  N/A
# of Pages: 155
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads:. It’s the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a “haunting,” Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.
My thoughts: I’m trying to read more ghost story books and had never read this one before. It was interesting, that’s for sure. The ending left me a little unsettled, but I guess that’s what horror stories are supposed to do. The edition I read has a 24-page introduction by another author that I smartly ignored before reading the book. Lots of spoilers! Including how it ended!! What kind of introduction is that? It really should have been placed at the end of the book. So fair warning, if you happen to want to read this book for the first time and it has an introduction—don’t read it first!

FYI: the cruise so far has been great. Well, I should say, visiting Hawaii has been great. The ocean on the trip getting there was kind of rough (and it’s not feeling all that much better going back). Good thing I don’t get sea sick. Although, after awhile, I suppose most people get used to the rocking. Sure makes going to sleep easy for me, though. All I want to do is nap!!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry Internet is an issue. Reading this Wednesday morning, so we'll call it an early Christmas miracle.