Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Reading Update and I’m Self-Quarantining

Last Tuesday, Hubby and I drove to Savannah. We came home Sunday. Now we’re doing the self-quarantining thing. If all goes well, I’ll be able to go out again right around the time I’m supposed to have jury duty (provided the trial is a go). Perfect timing, huh?

But you’re probably wondering what I went to Savannah for. Well, I went to the Literary Love Book convention. There were about 100 of us, masks were required for EVERYTHING, and we did our best to keep our distance from one another. Of course, that wasn’t possible all the time, but that’s why we wore masks.

I had a good time. It was nice to interact with people (authors and readers) again. I’m hoping all the safety measures that we took were enough. I’d hate to think they weren’t. I may never go to another convention if that’s the case.

Frankly, I’m more afraid of attending jury duty than I was attending the convention. I just can’t see how I’ll be able to social distance in a court room, and I can’t imagine the room is all that big, either. So I’m crossing my fingers that the trial is cancelled or postponed.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #29

Dates read: July 20-31
Title: Fallen
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series: Deep Ops #3
# of Pages: 347
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Book:. A talented hacker who got caught, Brigid Banaghan is now forced to work with a secret Deep Ops unit. But she won’t reveal any more to these renegade Feds than she has to. Especially not to Raider Tanaka, her control freak of a bodyguard and handler. It’s enough that his body is tensed for action and his heated gaze is always on her…
    Raider knows there’s more to his new assignment than he’s been told. Why send a deadly agent of his experience to guard a computer genius—even a gorgeous, unpredictable, undisciplined one? But when Brigid’s estranged father is named in an investigation into Boston’s organized crime, Raider’s mind switches onto high alert, just like his senses…
    To clear her father’s name, Brigid needs Raider’s help. The Unit’s idea that she bring a straight-laced Fed in as her “fiancé” won’t fly, though—not unless Raider can release his inner bad boy and become the rebel Brigid can’t resist…
My thoughts: I liked this book—the suspense, the romance—but I can see which couples will be featured in future books. I don’t know if I like that part or not. Raider did tend to be a bit more of an alpha man than I like, but he wasn’t mean, so that helped. For me.

Book #30

Dates read: August 1-2
Title: Storm Warning
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Allison Brennan
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series: Lucy Kincaid #14.5 (novella)
# of Pages: 108
Paper or plastic: e-book for Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads:. FBI Agent Lucy Kincaid and her colleague Nate are racing a hurricane, but the storm is the least of their worries...
    Lucy and Nate head to rural Texas in order to take an FBI Most Wanted armed robber into custody. When they reach the jail hours from San Antonio, the local cops ask them to transport another prisoner, too, since the transfer location is on their way. With the hurricane keeping everyone busy, Lucy and Nate don’t have much of a choice but to help out.
    When the two prisoners stage an escape and take a child hostage on their way, Lucy and Nate must try to rescue the boy and survive the storm, without letting these violent criminals get away
My thoughts: Nice, quick read with characters I enjoy reading about. Nice little suspense, too.

So… have you had to self-quarantine during this pandemic? I really hope neither of us get this dreaded disease. My daughter is apt to kill us if we do! Okay, not kill. But she’ll definitely scorn us or something evil like that.

And if we manage to not get COVID, I’ll be a lot less nervous going to a restaurant. They really are doing their best to keep everything sanitized. Their business depends on it.

Happy Reading!

Stacy


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Masks are more important than the sterilizing since they now say it's totally airborne. You should be all right.
Come work where I work. Well over a hundred people in one building and no one wears masks. Fun.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - No one wears masks at your work? That can't happen in Ohio. Masks are mandatory here. I'm glad, too.

Jemi Fraser said...

Jury duty sounds scary in these crazy times!
Glad the convention went well and everyone was being safe.
Our city is following guidelines well but I still rarely go anywhere except for essentials!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you had a good time at the convention. I'm a former attorney, and I'm seeing the courts be very careful about social distancing and not opening too quickly here. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jemi - My daughter is making sure we don't go out unnecessarily. But I signed up for that convention last year and when I saw how safe they were making it, felt I could risk it.

Natalie - I'm hoping our small court decides to hold off. Or at least the lawyers come to some agreement and don't need a trial!