Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Reading Update and Updating a Computer

We’ve had a tower unit as our “home” computer what seems like…forever. It included a separate 750g drive AND a 750g backup drive. All were getting old. And bulky. We were looking to streamline and we needed to do it before the tower unit failed for good. Problem is, when you get a new computer (in this case, a laptop to replace that tower unit), it’s like starting all over getting software and files transferred over.

The worst? iTunes. I had music files all over the place, but when I opened the software, it only showed those songs purchased from iTunes. Nothing from the CDs I had uploaded over the years. Took me awhile to figure out where the music files should be stored, move the music over there, and how to get iTunes to recognize them. And then the OCD/Organized person in me took over. I wanted everything to be just right. To get all the compilation albums recognized as one album (instead of by the individual artist). To have all the covers showing (a lot of the albums didn’t show one). It took me a few weeks (and a lot of copying of album covers from Amazon or Google) and now it’s nice and pretty. I even managed to upload some new CDs I’ve been wanting to upload for awhile now (but not on the old tower unit). I was happy to see everything working.

Well… except I had lost all my playlists. What a bummer. I’m almost afraid to link my iPhone up to update my playlist. Will it delete/replace what I have on my phone or add the new one? I only have one playlist on my phone. Will it recognize more than one? Guess I’ll find out soon enough.

I do know that I can no longer link my iPod Classic to iTunes (iTunes doesn’t recognize the device anymore), which is a bummer. I like my iPod Classic. It still works. I just can’t add new music to it. Doesn’t seem right. What’s wrong with making sure the new software can work with the old devices?

As for the computer, I’m still getting files off the two separate drives (like pictures I thought had been lost!). After I’m done, Hubby will go over the drives and then he plans on reformatting them. We’ll probably use them as backup drives (provided they’re still good).

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #31

Dates read: August 3-6
Title: No Way Out
Year of publication: 2020
Author: Allison Brennan
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series: Lucy Kincaid #16.5 (novella)
# of Pages: 123
Paper or plastic: e-book for Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads:. Nine years ago, mercenary Kane Rogan and photojournalist Siobhan Walsh risked their lives to rescue Hestia Juarez, a thirteen-year-old girl being forced to marry a much older man to expand her father’s crime family. Her enraged father has never forgotten.
    Now, Kane and Siobhan are finally getting married. They only invited a few people—including FBI Agent Lucy Kincaid and her husband Sean Rogan—to celebrate. When Sean and Kane go missing the day before the wedding, Lucy must put her fear aside and work the case. Because someone believes that Siobhan knows where Hestia is … and will do anything or kill anyone to make her tell the truth. 
My thoughts: Lots of suspense packed into this novella. Whew!

So… When was the last time you had to update a computer? Was it an easy process or were you ready to pull your hair after you finished?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Moving everything is a pain. My wife had the same problem with her playlists on her old phone. ITunes didn't recognize half the songs so she lost a lot of playlists.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I shouldn't have a problem with not recognizing the songs. I just don't like that the iPhone music isn't the same as the iPod. At least, I haven't figured out how playlists work on the iPhone. They were so much easier on the iPod.