Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Reading Update and No Jury Duty…for now!

I was soooooo happy to see that the trial I was assigned to was cancelled and I don’t have to report to jury duty. Whew. That’s good. Well… except I’m still on call, but they will contact ME if I’m needed this month. I don’t have to do anything else, like call them every three days for status. That’s nice, because I tend to forget to call!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #32

Dates read: August 10-16
Title: Midnight Sun
Year of publication: 2020
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Twilight #5
# of Pages: 658
Paper or plastic: Hardback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: When Edward Cullen and Bella Swan met in Twilight, an iconic love story was born. But until now, fans have heard only Bella’s side of the story. At last, readers can experience Edward’s version in the long-awaited companion novel, Midnight Sun.
    This unforgettable tale as told through Edward’s eyes takes on a new and decidedly dark twist. Meeting Bella is both the most unnerving and intriguing event he has experienced in all his years as a vampire. As we learn more fascinating details about Edward’s past and the complexity of his inner thoughts, we understand why this is the defining struggle of his life. How can he justify following his heart if it means leading Bella into danger? 
My thoughts: I’m a huge Twilight fan (it’s what got me interested in writing my own books), so of course I bought this. I had read the beginning of this story when Meyer posted the leaked portion on her blog (way back in 2008) and was instantly hooked. So glad she finished it and I was able to read the rest. Now, will she do the same to the rest of the series? I don’t know, but I’d read them.

I’m officially off of quarantine now. Celebrated in a way—my daughter came over (I sure did miss her). But it’s also nice to know I’m in the clear and I didn’t get sick from the convention (no one did—yay!). So… see? It is possible to have fun and not get sick if you wash your hands frequently, wear a mask, and keep your distance whenever possible.

Now I just have to wait and see if our December cruises are a go (we have two scheduled back-to-back, sailing out of Mobile, AL). I’d feel less worried if there was a viable treatment or vaccine, but frankly, I’d be surprised if any of the ports will be open if there isn’t a vaccine by then. Heck, would any island/country want USA visitors if we don’t have this disease under control? I highly doubt it.

So… Are you getting more or less read during this pandemic? I think I’m reading about the same, but then my life hasn’t changed all that much! I just don’t go out to eat anymore.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad no one got it. I think distancing and masks is all that will control this. They are rushing a vaccine which means half won't take it now, plus they predict it will be less than seventy percent effective - probably even lower. Ultimately, we'll just have to work our way around this.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - COVID-19 will probably be with us a long time, just like the flu virus. But when a vaccine is offered, I'll probably take it. I'd rather have some protection than none.