Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Reading Update and Having Issues with Stores

You ever feel like stuff happens in bunches? In my case, two, but still, it makes me wonder what’s gonna happen next.

First: Kroger. I “clipped” an on-line coupon for a 5X event (which means you can use the coupon 5 times), $1 off each item. I even got five of the item shown in the picture. Did the coupon take? No, of course not. Unfortunately, my daughter was doing the shopping for me (on my account) so she didn’t know to go to customer service while she was there. So I contacted customer service on the app instead and complained.

First they told me that I would receive $1 credit on my account. I promptly thanked them, but said I had purchased five of the items and should get $5. Then I got another e-mail saying that the coupon was for one item and that I had purchased something other than what the coupon said. I had captured a photo of the coupon (just in case), where it states clear as anything “5X Event” with a picture of the item I had purchased and sent it to them. I’m still waiting to hear back.

I know it’s only $5, but it’s the principle of the matter. And this isn’t the first time they’ve done this to me, either.

Second: Herrschners. I buy my yarn from them since there isn’t a yarn store around here that has their kind of selection (even if I were brave enough to go to one). I had decided to make an afghan for someone (for their birthday) and found the perfect yarn (the kind that changes colors after a few rows instead of after a few stitches). Unfortunately, I had miscalculated how much I would need and bought 5 cakes (which is what they are called now instead of skeins—I have no idea why). Turns out I needed 13 (yep, I really miscalculated!). They had a sale for free shipping, so I ordered the other 8 cakes which arrived rather promptly.

As I was reaching the end of one of the cakes, I started searching for another one that was closest to the color I had ended (since not all the cakes start and end on the same color). I then noticed that four of the cakes only had four colors and all the others had five.

Boy, was I steamed. This would be totally noticeable on an afghan. I contacted them. They are sending me four at no charge but they said the manufacturer said the color “varies.” Their version of varies and mine are apparently totally different. I can understand each individual color varying a bit in shade, but to lose an entire color, when they advertise FIVE COLORS? That’s not varied. That’s sloppy.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #4

Dates read:
January 17-21
Title: Midnight Alley (Morganville Vampires Vol. 2)
Year of publication: 2007
Author: Rachel Caine
Genre: YA Paranormal
Series: Morganville Vampires #3
# of Pages: 230
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Borrowed from daughter
Blurb from book: Claire Danvers has pledged herself to Amelie, the most powerful vampire in town. But being under Amelie’s protection doesn’t offer much comfort when people start turning up dead, a stalker resurfaces from Claire’s past, and an ancient bloodsucker extends a chilling invitation for private lessons at his secluded home in Midnight Alley. To what end, Clair will soon discover—and it will give a terrifying new meaning to night school.
My thoughts: If you plan on reading this series (and they are enjoyable stories with suspense and a bit of romance—all teenager-safe), you might want to plan on reading them back-to-back like I am. The cliffhangers are really annoying!

Book #5

Dates read:
January 21-24
Title: Feast of Fools (Morganville Vampires Vol. 2)
Year of publication: 2008
Author: Rachel Caine
Genre: YA Paranormal
Series: Morganville Vampires #4
# of Pages: 209
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Borrowed from daughter
Blurb from book: In Morganville, vampires and humans have learned to live in relative peace, but the tenuous good-neighbor policy is abruptly turned on its head with the arrival of Mr. Bishop. The ancient old-school vampire is bad to the bone, and what he wants from the town’s living and dead is unthinkably sinister. It’s only at a formal ball attended by vampires and their human dates that Clair realizes Bishop’s plan—and the elaborately evil trap he’s set for the warm-blooded souls of Morganville.
My thoughts: It’s the never-ending story! Oh yeah, I’m enjoying it, but man, can any of these books actually end for once? I’m beginning to think they won’t. I have up to Book #8 on hand. Don’t know if I’ll bother buying the next ones if it just keeps going on like this, though. And there are a LOT of books in this series.

So… Do you do most of your shopping on line nowadays? I really miss having a yarn store in town. Michael’s doesn’t have a large selection, and neither does WalMart. And frankly, shopping for yarn on line leaves a lot to be desired. I like to feel the yarn. I miss Super Yarn Mart. There was one in Santa Barbara that I frequented a lot (when I lived there). That place was huge! Sadly, it’s been long gone.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is sloppy!
We probably do a little more shopping online, but we still go to Target and the grocery store and fun shopping in general. Never purchased groceries online - my wife said that would take what little fun was in it completely out.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I refuse to purchase groceries on line. That's what my daughter is for! Haha! :D But seriously, even if I didn't have her, I'd still go to the grocery store on my own. I don't trust an employee to know what I want.

omabove said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.