Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Reading Update and Working Out Harder

I’ve been doing step aerobics 4-5 days a week (30-40 min/day) since October 4th. All without a riser, meaning the platform is only about 4” high. Last week I added one riser, bringing the platform to 6”. You’d think I had added 6”! Was I ready for this?

Maybe not, but how else was I going to get better? Get stronger? So I’m keeping the riser and just exercising on the floor when I really run out of breath (and I tend to do that a lot right now).

I have noticed that I can walk down the stairs so much faster now (without fear my knees will give out). That tells me I am getting stronger. I just wish I wasn’t so out of breath when I exercise. I think my heart might be a little bit to blame for that. Carrying all this extra weight isn’t helping, either, but I am working on it.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #3

Dates read:
January 12-16
Title: The Dead Girls’ Dance (Morganville Vampires Vol. 1)
Year of publication: 2007
Author: Rachel Caine
Genre: YA Paranormal
Series: Morganville Vampires #2
# of Pages: 223
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Borrowed from daughter
Blurb from book: Claire Danvers has her share of challenges—like living among creatures of the night. On the upside, she has a great roommate (who tends to disappear at sunup) and a new boyfriend. Now a fraternity is throwing its annual Dead Girls’ Dance and –surprise—Clair and her equally outcast friend have been invited. When they find out why, all hell breaks loose, because this time both the living and the dead are ready to tear up the night.
My thoughts: The title and the blurb are really not what this story is about. Oh, the dance happens, but there’s a totally different reason they attend and it’s certainly not the key plotline. But, when you’re hooked on a series, do you really read the blurb? I hadn’t…until now. This was an entertaining book and quite suspenseful, too. I look forward to seeing what comes next. And I wouldn’t have needed the cliffhanger to do that. At least it was a minor cliffhanger this go round.

Are you watching the NFL playoffs? The Steelers and Rams are out of it now (boo hoo), but I’m still watching. I like Green Bay (even though they beat my Rams) over Tampa Bay, but torn between Kansas City and Buffalo. And then there’s hockey now, too! So far we’ve been able to watch ALL of the Penguins’ games on TV! Whoo hoo! I hope that continues. And I hope they play better.

I just realized as I was getting ready to post this, that today is the 45th anniversary of the day I joined the Army. Man, am I getting old or what?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ravens are out though! That's always a good thing.
Keep exercising. Yes, you have to stretch to get stronger. Eventually you won't be so out of breath.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Yes, we were super happy to see the Ravens get eliminated!