Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Reading Update and Writing News

I had a light bulb go off in my head regarding Evie in my current project, Ghostly Protector. In the first draft (which is finished) she doesn’t do much. And since she’s the heroine, she needed to do… something. She needed to be more involved in Adam’s life. More involved in solving Spencer’s murder (Spencer is the ghost in my story, and was her friend and roommate). So glad I figured out what those somethings should be. It sure created a lot of cutting and pasting, but that’s better than rewriting the whole story. I just replaced another character who was involved in Adam’s problems with Evie. And moved the timelines around. I still have to write some new scenes (so that it shows Evie’s involvement), but at least I have it all figured out. So far. I hope.

Ain’t writing fun? I’ll eventually get Ghostly Protector finished. Again.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #2

Dates read:
January 5-11
Title: Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires Vol. 1)
Year of publication: 2006
Author: Rachel Caine
Genre: YA Paranormal
Series: Morganville Vampires #1
# of Pages: 222
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Borrowed from daughter
Blurb from book: Morganville is a small college town in the heart of Texas that has its share of quirky characters—and some evil ones, too. When student Claire Danvers moves off campus into one of Morganville’s oldest houses, she finds that her roommates don’t show many signs of life. But they’ll have Claire’s back when the town’s deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
My thoughts: After I read about Rachel Caine’s passing, I realized I’d never read these books. And lucky me, my daughter has the first four volumes (first 8 books, actually) of this series. I was instantly hooked. Didn’t care for the cliffhanger at the end of this one, but hey, I’m ready to read the next.

So… don’t you love it when you figure out a problem that’s been hounding you? It really was a relief for me.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your main character definitely needs to be doing something!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Adam - To be fair, it's Adam's story, but yeah, she still needs to be doing something! :D

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you figured out how to fix your story without totally rewriting it. I'm trying to figure out how to make my main character do more in my latest chapter too.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Natalie - It's never easy making a passive character active. At least, not for me. Good luck!!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Yay for figuring out how to fix the story! I've been stuck on a plot point for um... let's just say way too long. Figured it out last night! So (I hope) back to the writing tonight.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yay!!! Must be something in the air, right?