Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Reading and Health Update

On Monday I saw the urologist. That spot on my kidney? Turns out to be a tumor, and it’s most likely cancer (mainly due to its size: 7.9cm).

I get another CT scan on May 3 (moved up from the 7th—yay!) and can expect surgery sometime after that. Either to remove the tumor or the whole kidney. And if it’s cancer, I can expect chemo.

It’s all so unreal right now. I mean, I went in hoping to get my leaky valve fixed and they discover a tumor in the process. I’m glad it was caught, just wish I didn’t have it.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #24

Dates read: April 18-23, 2021
Title: Unlocking the Ex-Army Doc’s Heart
Year of publication: 2020
Author: Juliette Hyland
Genre: Contemporary romance
Series: Harlequin LP Medical Book 1104
# of Pages: 149
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased new
Blurb from Goodreads: The Arctic Circle's remote tranquility made it the perfect place for ex-army doc and former child star Annie Masters to open her clinic. But her cherished anonymity is ruined when celebrity surgeon Rafe Bradstone arrives in town! Seeing that she uses her work as a safe haven, dynamic Rafe seems determined to show her what she's missing out on. And it's working... She's beginning to imagine a future--with him!
My thoughts: A fun, although short, read. Then again, it is a Harlequin book. They aren’t known for lengthy (most of the time). If you love contemporary romance, give this book a chance. You might find a new author to read!

Book #25

Dates read: April 24-27, 2021
Title: Midnight Unleashed
Year of publication: 2017
Author: Lara Adrian
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Midnight Breed #15.5
# of Pages: 110
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased new
Blurb from Goodreads: For Breed vampire Trygg, a menacing former assassin and the ultimate loner, duty is everything...until his solo mission to destroy a powerful enemy earns him an unwanted partner in the form of Tamisia, a beautiful, ice-hot immortal who ignites a flame in his cold heart, and his blood.
    Banished from her Atlantean colony, disgraced immortal Tamisia longs for a chance to redeem herself and return home where she belongs. Her work at a Rome women's shelter has given Sia purpose, but when a break-in results in a brutal killing, her quest for answers puts her in the middle of the hunt for a dangerous enemy of the Order--and brings her up against one of the deadliest of their Breed warrior members, the Gen One vampire, Trygg.
    A former Hunter enslaved to the commands of a madman, Trygg has devoted his life to the Order. Duty is his only master now, until an interfering beauty inserts herself into his investigation. The last thing Trygg wants is a partner in his mission, but Sia will not be denied--nor will the fierce desire she stokes in him. Soon the warrior who needs no one is craving the only woman he should not desire, unleashing a powerful hunger in his cold heart, and in his blood.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this. Got me back into the storyline, especially since I have #17 ready to read! I already read #16, but these novellas tend to stand on their own, which is a good thing.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

5 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

So very sorry for your health challenges. I hope your surgery goes well and that you have a speedy recovery.

Maria Zannini said...

Oh, Stacy. That's awful!

Get it done and behind you. I'm praying for you, sweetie. Keep us posted.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Natalie - Thanks. I hope all that happens, too!

Maria - Don't worry, I'm getting it taken care of. I hate the "C" word!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry that happened! Prayers they remove what they need to and you can get better and move on to fixing your heart.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Thank you!