Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Reading Update and Heart News

Saw my cardiologist on Monday. She wants to wait until after my scheduled imaging (for my kidneys and lungs) in November before she looks into me having heart surgery. But, she did say she would talk to the cardiac surgeon to see what my options are after that. So… more waiting. Granted, I would prefer surgery (or whatever) to happen after our March cruise, but it’s the not knowing that I don’t like.

Other than that, I’m doing fine. No changes. That’s good.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 43

Dates read: August 13-20, 2021
Title: Claimed
Year of publication: 2021
Author: J. R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: The Lair of the Wolven #1
# of Pages: 509
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Lydia Susi is passionate about protecting wolves in their natural habitat. When a hotel chain develops a tract of land next to the preserve, Lydia is one of the most vocal opponents of the project—and becomes a target.
    One night, a shadowy figure in the forest threatens Lydia’s life, and a new hire at the Wolf Study Project comes from out of nowhere to save her. Daniel Joseph is both mysterious and someone she instinctively wants to trust. But is he hiding something?
    As the stakes get higher and one of Lydia’s colleagues is murdered, she must decide how far she will go to protect the wolves. Then a shocking revelation about Daniel challenges Lydia’s reality in ways she could never have predicted. Some fates demand courage, while others require even more, with no guarantees. Is she destined to have true love…or will a soul-shattering loss ruin her forever?
My thoughts: This new series is set in the Black Dagger Brotherhood world and a character from that series is in this. Not yet sure how it all connects, as this particular book doesn’t wrap up that storyline. Yeah, there’s a little bit of a cliffhanger…for the series. But it wasn’t an irritating one for me. Or maybe I just like J.R. Ward too much to fuss about it? Maybe… But I enjoyed this and look forward to reading more.

My walking is taking a hit this week. Doctor appointments on Monday and Wednesday mornings, and I had to pick up my daughter Tuesday morning. I refuse to walk later in the day, as the temps have been in the 90s (and will continue to be that way for the rest of the week). I like summer, but 90 degrees is ridiculous. Hopefully I’ll get back to walking tomorrow.

I recorded a TV series this past spring: “Debris.” I thought it was one of those one-season kind of series, so I waited until the whole series was aired before watching and never bothered looking up anything (so as not to be spoiled). Well, I finished watching it Monday night, where it ended on a huge cliffhanger. Then I checked and saw it wasn’t renewed for a season 2. WTH??? To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I wish I’d never watched it now.

So… Are you as gun-shy about starting a new series on television like I am? I really don’t watch as much TV as I used to. Mainly because it seems like nothing lasts anymore. Or more importantly, nothing ends properly.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

5 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I hadn't heard of this book but it looks good. Glad you're feeling good. It must be hard waiting for surgery. And I don't like to walk in the heat either.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Natalie - Book is good! If you like JR Ward's books, you'll like this, too.

Tanja said...

Not walking in this heat has been my excuse not to start. LOL

As fort TV, the Big Era of Television is over.

Soaps are now Reality shows.
News is ops delivered by quasi circus entertainment. (Not saying there isn’t important news that affects us).
Reruns tie up more than 1/2 tv time, while infomercials tie up rest.
Movie night is now at home downloaded by some streaming service.
Except for Jeopardy, game shows are run by otherwise comedians, and in that one they can’t find a worthy replacement. Trebek was that great. They should put in Chris from Bachelor show. He’d likely do a good job.
OK, sorry this became longer than your important heart news. Now that’s important!

Just hoped I passed on something that made you laugh. Sorry about your TV series. I’ve been waiting to see if they did a 3rd Jack Ryan series.
My favorites were the British, but to subscribe to a ton of specific ones like Brit box, HBO, STARZ, etc. gets too expensive. So Hallmark mystery or the romance one is usually what’s running on my television. They can be a bit over repetitive.. I’ll save you from my whine on this one for now. Ciao.😷

Stacy McKitrick said...

Tanja - So good to "see" you! Most of my TV watching nowadays is sports (Reds games right now) or HGTV (hooked on those fixer-upper shows). I can crochet while watching those and I like the TV on when I crochet.

Tanja said...

You’re right! There is sports.
It looks like my Buckeyes and Steelers have survived. But after the past few years, I’m not so centered on them. I’m not concerned whether I Dvr or not. And somewhat ambivalent attending the games. But I did go to Lions @ Steelers game and was pleased not to see any of our players taking a knee during the anthem. They DID sing the national anthem and Did welcome PA vets home.