Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Reading and Surgery Update

I had planned on posting last week before I left for the hospital Tuesday morning, but went and forgot. Can I blame it on the Olympics? I’ve been obsessed with them (men’s figure skating and women’s hockey were on) and other things just aren’t getting done. Except for my crocheting. I’m still crocheting. But I can do that and watch the Olympics.

Anyway, surgery was a success, if not a little longer than planned. Seemed my organs were a bit “sticky” on the left side of my body (as told to me by my doctor), where they had no issues on the right side back in May. I asked if the radiation I had on that side (breast cancer treatment in 2017/18) could have been the reason. She’d forgotten about that, I guess, and said it was most likely the reason. So something that should have taken two hours took closer to five. And… they nicked my spleen. Had to get the bleeding stopped before they could continue, too. But no lasting damage was done (thank goodness). I ended up staying in the hospital a day longer than planned since I was feeling nauseous at times (from the anesthesia, I’m sure).

You know, I really hate those beds in the hospitals. They are NOT comfortable. Especially when you’ve had your abdomen cut on. I was so happy to finally sleep in my own bed on Thursday.

FYI: They're pretty sure they got all the cancer, but we won't know for sure until my next MRI. I'm hopeful!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 5

Dates read: January 26 - February 3, 2022
Title: The Other Emily
Year of publication: 2021
Author: Dean Koontz
Genre: Suspense
Series: N/A
# of Pages: 352
Paper or plastic: Hardcover
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from the book: A decade ago, Emily Carlino vanished after her car broke down on a California highway. She was presumed to be one of serial killer Ronny Lee Jessups’s victims whose remains were never found.
    Writer David Thorne still hasn’t recovered from losing the love of his life, or from the guilt of not being there to save her. Since then, he’s sought closure any way he can. He even visits regularly with Jessup in prison, desperate for answers about Emily’s final hours so he may finally lay her body to rest. Then David meets Madison Sutton, beguiling, playful, and keenly aware of all David has lost. But what really takes his breath away is that everything about Maddison, down to her kisses, is just like Emily. As the fantastic become credible, David’s obsession grows, Maddison’s mysterious past deepens—and terror escalates.
    Is she Emily? Or an irresistible dead ringer? Either way, the ultimate question is the same: What game is she playing? Whatever the risk in finding out, David’s willing to take it for this precious second chance. It’s been ten years since he’s felt this inspired, this hopeful, this much in love…and he’s afraid.
My thoughts: I can always count on Dean Koontz to entertain me regardless of what turn his books take. I guess I can always count on him to surprise me, too. And yes, the ending did surprise me.  

Today would have been my father’s 97th birthday. He had hoped to make it to 100, but alas, only made it to 92. I still miss him.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Prayers they got it all! I'm sure your husband was having fits wondering why it was taking so long.

Maria Zannini said...

I'm glad that's all in the rear view mirror.

It's curious you didn't like the bed. Most people complain about the food.

It's been ten years since I had to book a hospital room, but I loved that bed. Maybe because I didn't have to cook, clean, or chase after animals. LOL!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Yeah, Hubby is not the most patient guy in the world, that's for sure!

Maria - I had a hard time moving around in that bed. Having holes in my stomach could have been part of the problem, but I like sleeping on my side and I just couldn't do it on that hard thing! It really bothered my back.

Tanja said...

Been thinking of you lots every day, so thanks for posting update. I hope good news continues from here on up for you. I like watching the curling, though some of the other sports have been interesting to watch snippets here or there. Stay on the mend.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hey Tanja! So good to see you today. Hope it becomes a regular occurrence!!