Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Reading Update and Happy Groundhog’s Day

Today the groundhog is supposed to tell us whether we have six more weeks of winter or spring is just around the corner. Since it’s supposed to be raining pretty much all day today, I’m guessing he won’t see his shadow. But spring right around the corner? Ha! We have the biggest winter storm of the season heading our way. I’m not looking forward to that. I may grumble when we get an inch or two, but an inch or two I can handle. Six to ten inches? I’ll more than grumble. I’ll have to actually SHOVEL the crap. I’m sure I’ll be cursing a lot tomorrow.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 4

Dates read: January 17-26, 2022
Title: Negligence
Year of publication: 2013
Author: Robert Gregory Browne
Genre: Mystery/Suspense
Series: Trial Junkies #2
# of Pages: 377
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from the book: She was found with a bullet in her head, and the kid she was last seen with woke up drugged and disoriented in a neighbor’s back yard. Now the kid is awaiting trial for her murder, and reporter Matt Isaacs is convinced that there’s more here than meets the eye.
    Matt’s old college pal, Ethan “Hutch” Hutchinson—washed up actor and newly-minted trial junkie—isn’t so sure…until a violent attack propels Hutch and his friends into the middle of a conspiracy that takes them all the way from the courthouse gallery to the not so hallowed halls of an exclusive Chicago prep school… straight into the hands of a killer.
My thoughts: I read the first book quite a while ago and can honestly say I didn’t remember ANY of it (still don’t), even with some hints in this book. So you really don’t need to have read the first book to enjoy this one. And I did enjoy it. I’m sure I enjoyed the first one, too (or I wouldn’t have bought this one), I just wish I remembered it (and I can only fault my brain for that, not the book itself). Of course, I probably don’t remember the stories in half the books in my bookcase. I pretty much don’t need to buy new books (not that I would stop). I could just keep reading what I own!

My surgery is still scheduled for Tuesday, February 8th. I’m supposed to go get a COVID test beforehand. First they asked if I could come in on Friday. I asked if I could come in on Monday, since roads could be tricky Friday. They were okay with that. Whew!

If you’re in the path of this storm, I hope nothing bad happens to you. Ice is the worst and it’s predicted our area will get anywhere from .1” to .5” of ice. I expect a lot of people will lose power. I just hope I’m not one of them! Or you! But yeah, it gives you a GREAT reason to stay indoors. And maybe read a book or two. Right?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry, he saw his shadow. More winter.
Hope everything goes well with your surgery.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - And we're getting hit with that winter right now. Ugh...