Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Reading Update and Ohio’s Screwy Weather

I’ve lived in Ohio for nearly 31 years, you’d think I’d get used to the screwy weather in April. Or at least REMEMBER that April is full of screwy weather. I’ll blame the remembering part on my old brain.

But on Monday, April 18 (half-way through the month!!), it snowed here. For half the frickin’ day! Didn’t stick to the roadways so much, but it did stick to the grassy areas, the trees & shrubs, AND my car (of which I was using because I had a LOT of errands, of course). Plus, it was cold! I’m ready for spring. It’s supposedly been here a month already, so what’s with the snow?

Oh… spring is coming Saturday. Or rather, summer is poking its head in. It’s supposed to reach 80 on Saturday. Frostbite to sunburn within one week. Yep, April weather is screwy in Ohio.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 12

Dates read: April 5-14, 2022
Title: Hollow’s End
Year of publication: 2013
Author: Marianne Morea
Genre: YA Paranormal
Series: The Legend #1
# of Pages: 245
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased from author
Blurb from the book: Two hundred years of secrets and lies are bleeding into the present, and high school seniors, Hunter Morrissey and Rowen Corbett find themselves linked with unseen forces shrouded in mystery and violence. In the quaint river town of Sleepy Hollow… But the dark water of the Hudson River is not the only blackness looming in the distance. Truths, buried and long forgotten, have risen at a time when the veil between the living and the dead is at its thinnest.
    Only Hunter and Rowen hold the key to locking the past in the past. And setting old wrongs to right.
    Can justice be served?
    Can the two find a way to straddle both worlds and solve the mystery when they don’t understand the clues?
My thoughts: The copy I have had way too many grammatical mistakes that kept taking me out of the story. But the story does end and it was interesting. If you like YA paranormal, give this a try. On the book it’s labeled a YA romance, but it’s not, not really, although there is romantic elements. And in Goodreads, it’s listed as a horror, but I didn’t really find it all that horrific. It’s certainly suitable for young adults.

On Monday (during the freakish snow storm), I ordered some “computer” glasses after my eye appointment (of which my eyes haven’t changed all that much). These will be bifocals with the middle range on top and the reading range on the bottom. I normally wear trifocals with a really narrow middle range that isn’t suitable for a computer screen. At least, not for me. I’m hoping the new glasses will make it easier for me to write. At this point, I’m trying everything to make it easier to write (or at least eliminate the excuses??). Wish me luck that it works. I need something to work.

So… Do you wear glasses? How annoying are they for you?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We hit near freezing the past two nights which is screwy for us.
Hope the new glasses work. I wear contacts and fortunately don't need reading glasses.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I don't mind the glasses so much, just hate all the different lenses! Don't think contacts would fix that, or my astigmatism.

JeffO said...

Been wearing glasses since I was in the third grade. Transitioned to bifocals for the first time....five-ish years ago? I think they work really well, except when they don't. If I have to look at something small, I have to take them off to get whatever I'm looking at really close to my face, and that doesn't work so great, either, thus the bifocals!

Snow started falling here after midnight on Monday, dumped 11-14 inches of heavy, heavy snow. Our power was out for about 32 hours. AT least the temperature was in the thirties and not below zero!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Glad I don't live THAT far north! The dusting we got was bad enough. And apparently it happened last year, too. Two inches fell last year on the 21st. FB memories are good at reminding me that.