Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Reading Update and I’m Watching the Playoffs

I realized this morning that I hadn’t posted this. And that would be because last night I was watching Game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs between the Penguins and Rangers. And that game went into TRIPLE OVERTIME!!!

Thank goodness the Pens came out ahead!!! But what an insane game.

Daughter and I have tickets to see Game 3 in Pittsburgh. When she found out that game was on a Saturday, she asked if I wanted to go and when I said, SURE, she said, “Happy Mother’s Day”! I’d like to think the Pens would be up 2 games to none on that day, but right now I’m just glad they won the first game. Should be a fun event on Saturday. I’m looking forward to being there!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 14

Dates read: April 25 – May 2, 2022
Title: The Beautiful
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Renee Ahdieh
Genre: Paranormal mystery
Series: The Beautiful #1
# of Pages: 425
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Borrowed from a friend
Blurb from the book: In 1872, New Orleans is a city ruled by the dead. But to seventeen-year-old Celine Rousseau, New Orleans is a safe haven after she’s forced to flee her life as a dressmaker in Paris. Celine is quickly enraptured by the vibrant city, from its music to its fancy soirees and even its danger. She becomes embroiled in the city’s glitzy underworld, known as La Cour des Lions, after catching the eye of the group’s enigmatic leader, Sebastien Saint Germain.
    When the body of a girl she knows is found in Sebastien’s own lair—the second dead girl to turn up in recent weeks—Celine battles her attraction to Sebastien and suspicions about his guilt along with the shame of her own horrible secret.
    Celine finally take matters into her own hands, only to find herself caught in the midst of an age-old feud between the darkest creatures of the night, where the price of forbidden love is her life.
My thoughts: A friend loved this and gave me her copy to read. But I’m not as enamored of this story as she was. I don’t plan on reading the rest of the series in any case. The pacing was a bit on the slow side and the characters weren’t all the compelling to me. Plus, the ending of this book wasn’t exactly all that satisfying. The fourth book in this quartet isn’t out yet, so if this book looks interesting to you, you might want to wait to read it until the whole series is finished.

So… Are you watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs? If so, which team are you rooting for?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's really cool you get to see the game and in a place where you will be surrounded by like-minded fans. (Always rough when your team is the visitor.)

JeffO said...

Bruins forever! Disappointed in the outcome of their first game against Carolina, which looks worse on the scoreboard than the run of play, hopefully they'll get that win tonight.

Somehow I've never been to an NHL playoff game--I hope you have a ton of fun!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I expect the energy will be wild!!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Intriguing Review :)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - for some reason your comment ended up in my spam (or I put it there inadvertently!). I don't mind going to games where the Pens are the visitor. I do that a lot when they play in Columbus! Of course, a lot of Pens fans are there, too. We've been known to drown out the home crowd. Haha!