Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Reading Update and Doing Good

Everything is still peachy here! I’m pretty much back to where I was before the surgery – walking-wise, that is. And frankly, I’m not noticing any difference. But my resting heart rate is lower, and so is my blood pressure. But I give credit for that to the beta blocker I’m on. But… I had my CT scan and checked the results. It said the growth on my lung hasn’t grown (yay) and that my heart was stable (where before it stated it was enlarged). So I’m taking that all in as good news.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 20

Dates read: June 21-July 6, 2022
Title: Storm Gathering
Year of publication: 2017
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Apocalyptic romantic suspense
Series: Scorpius Syndrome #4
# of Pages: 338
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from the book: Even before surviving the Scorpius bacterium, Greyson Storm was a lone wolf navigating minefields. As a kid, he learned to take a hit and find safety. As an adult, he joined the military and quickly learned how to protect and defend. When the world ended, he created a mercenary camp with military precision, no entanglements, and a promise to avenge a fallen friend. As part of that vow, he kidnapped Maureen Shadow, but now that he has let her go, her blue eyes and intriguing mind keep haunting him…
    As possibly the only Biotechnology Engineer still living, Maureen Shadow might be humanity’s one hope to survive the aftermath of Scorpius, making her frighteningly valuable to both allies and enemies. Even after sexual tension explodes between her and Greyson, she’s not sure which camp he belongs to—friend or foe? Worse yet, survival may mean thwarting his prime mission, putting her in even more peril. When danger and seduction collide, there is no safety in this new world.
My thoughts: Main thing that bugged me about this book (and the previous ones, too), is the description of the Santa Barbara and Goleta beach areas. I don’t know what beaches the author went to, but it wasn’t Santa Barbara or Goleta. I guess I’ll just have to pretend it’s another city. Which is a shame. I’m from that area and it would have been nice to picture it correctly. Other people wouldn’t notice, so don’t let that stop you from reading these books. But if you are interested, you definitely need to start with book 1. These are not stand alone reads.

Book 21

Dates read: July 7-10, 2022
Title: Blaze Erupting
Year of publication: 2018
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Apocalyptic romantic suspense
Series: Scorpius Syndrome #4.5
# of Pages: 105
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from the Goodreads: Hugh Johnson is nobody’s hero, and the idea of being in the limelight makes him want to growl. He takes care of his brothers, does his job, and enjoys a mellow evening hanging with his hound dog and watching the sports channel. So when sweet and sexy Ellie Smithers from his college chemistry class asks him to save millions of people from a nuclear meltdown, he doggedly steps forward while telling himself that the world hasn’t changed and he can go back to his relaxing life. One look at Ellie and excitement doesn’t seem so bad.
    Eleanor Smithers knows that the Scorpius bacteria has and will change life as we know it, but that’s a concern for another day. She’s been hand-picked as the computer guru for The Brigade, which is the USA’s first line of defense against all things Scorpius, including homegrown terrorists who’ve just been waiting for a chance to strike. Their target is a nuclear power plant in the east, and the only person who can help her is Hugh, the sexy, laconic, dangerous man she had a crush on so long ago.
My thoughts: This novella is marked as #4.5 in the series but can probably be read FIRST! You don’t need to have read any of the other books to enjoy this one. Basically, this is based before the events in book 1. I find it fascinating that we had an actual pandemic not shortly after these were written.

Got busy yesterday and forgot to post this at my scheduled time. I can blame the Reds game (they beat the Yankees—yay!!), but it’s really because I don’t think I even opened my laptop yesterday. Just wasn’t in the mood. Hopefully that changes soon.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments: