Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Update, but not with Reading

My reading has really slowed down. And I feel like I’m reading almost every day, but maybe I’m not or it’s not for a long period of time when I am reading? I can’t blame it on writing, because I haven’t done that in awhile, either (and I really thought I was progressing there…). I can probably blame it on my crochet projects, but I think that’s slowing down now, too, so maybe my reading will pick back up. Or I just need to finish this series I’m reading and pick up something a little more fast paced (with less alpha heroes). But I’m determined to finish the series, even if it has slowed my reading down.

Anyway… I do have some news. I saw my oncologist on the 19th. He kind of surprised me. He recommends I have surgery to remove the spot on my lung.

Surgery.

Again.

While that doesn’t exactly thrill me, the fact that I would only have to be on the immunotherapy drugs for a year after the surgery (6 injections total), instead of forever without the surgery (once every 4 weeks) does sound promising. First, I have to get clearance from my cardiac surgeon (to see whether or not I can handle another surgery with my heart valve), who I see on Aug 2. I already have an appointment with the cardiothoracic surgeon on Aug 4.

Man, I’m learning about all the different types of surgeons!

I had first decided to get a biopsy done in August (before Dragon Con and our vacation in Sept) to determine whether I would need surgery. But since my oncologist is like, 99% sure the spot on my lung IS cancer, I later thought it was kind of stupid to have the biopsy since it looked like surgery would happen anyway. Of course the surgeon could have other ideas/options. I’ll find out on Aug 4.

In any case… my oncologist said he’s okay with me waiting until October to have the surgery. I really didn’t want to mess up my upcoming trips and he keeps stating that there isn’t any hurry in what I decide to do (the spot didn’t grow between April & July).

This was good news. We have a tour through five national parks in September that starts in Jackson Hole, WY and ends in Las Vegas. I really wanted to drive from LV to see my mom in Santa Barbara, but we couldn’t make any plans until I knew I was safe to travel. Well, I’m safe to travel and we’ll be able to see my mom after the tour. I’m really happy about that! We got the flights and rental cars booked. Finally!

So… that’s what’s going on with me. And I was really thinking my surgery days were over. Guess not.

 

Stacy

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry about another surgery but that does mean less drugs. Glad you can wait until after vacations although I couldn't go with that hanging over my head.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Guess I'm lucky in that I don't have any symptoms. Plus, I've had this spot for over a year. Waiting another few months is no biggie to me.

JeffO said...

Maybe you've found the reason your writing, reading and crocheting have slowed down. I imagine this is taking up a substantial amount of conscious and subconscious brain space. I'm sorry to hear the news, but also glad that your oncologist wasn't all "We've got to get you in, NOW!" mode. Hang in there!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Maybe the characters in my head are quiet for a reason? I really wish they'd start talking to me again, though!