Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Reading Update, Passed Step #1, and a Mini Vacation

Saw my cardiac surgeon yesterday. Got the clearance to have surgery to remove the spot on my lung. That was step #1. #2 is to pass the pulmonary test (which will occur on Sep 8). And #3 is for the cardiothoracic surgeon to agree surgery is the way to go. I get that answer tomorrow. I think. I see the doctor then, anyway!

But good news! I don’t have to take the blood thinners anymore. My cardiac surgeon put me on baby aspirin instead. I’m just glad that all these pills I have to take are SMALL and I’m able to take them all at once. If I had any monster-sized pills, I’d be in a world of hurt. My throat likes to choke up on those. It’s all in my head, I’m sure, but when can we ever tell our head to STOP IT! Yeah, not so easy, is it?

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 22

Dates read: July 11-28, 2022
Title: Winter Igniting
Year of publication: 2018
Author: Rebecca Zanetti
Genre: Apocalyptic romantic suspense
Series: Scorpius Syndrome #5
# of Pages: 340
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from the book: With nothing to lose, former cop Damon Winter agrees to an undercover op to infiltrate a dangerous cult in this dangerous post-Scorpius world. After one look at his new partner, he knows she belongs as far as humanly possible away from not only the cult, but from him. She’s sweet and kind and has no business being in peril, but she’s determined to help. Suddenly, the part he’s playing as her man explodes into a passion neither of them had expected.
    April Snyder has survived loss, pain, and uncertainty, and she’s ready to live again. There’s nothing left but to make a difference for others, so why not go undercover with the cult? Now all she has to do is keep it professional and ignore her handsome, deadly, overbearing partner, who’s too sexy for her peace of mind. Intrigue, risk, and danger make for an irresistible temptation—until enemies close in from every side, threatening everyone they’ve sworn to protect.
My thoughts: Took me forever to read this book. I liked it, but the alpha hero bit is starting to wear thin.

Hubby and I spent the last weekend (actually 6 days) in Grand Haven, MI visiting friends. The weather was really nice up there. Not near as hot and humid. Of course, the weather could have been nice at home, too, although I think there were some thunderstorms while we were gone. I did a lot of walking and did sooooo much better than when I was there last year (I did struggle a little with walking). So maybe that mitraclip is working. I still haven’t tried a lot of stairs. Guess I should get on that, huh?

I also found the cookies I bought last year at the Holland Windmill gift shop and fell in love with. Couldn’t find them online anywhere, and, unfortunately, I failed to write down the name of the cookies (or who made them) after I finished them. The gift shop didn’t sell them anymore, but the clerk suggested we go to Meijer and check out the Danish section. Meijer, huh? Well… it worked! I bought 15 packages (I think they’re a lot cheaper at Meijer than they were at the gift shop, but I can’t really remember). Now I wonder if our own Meijer store carries these cookies. That would be awesome! I’ll have to check it out next time I go in there.

During our visit with our friends, we all took a trip to Frankenmuth, MI for dinner and some shopping. It took us two and a half hours to drive there, but I have to admit, the dinner was fabulous. Didn’t really get to do all that much shopping since we had that long car ride home, but I can now say I’ve been in the largest Christmas store. It was a neat little town and maybe I’ll make it up there again (and do a little more exploring).

So… have you ever been to Grand Haven? How about Frankenmuth?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good news on the blood thinners.
Just how big is the largest Christmas store?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - According to them: A stop here is a must if you want to fully experience all of the Frankenmuth Christmas magic. Stretched over 5 acres, with a showroom the size of 1.7 football fields, Bronner’s has every Christmas trimming imaginable.