Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Reading Update and Vacation is Over

I didn’t post last week not because I didn’t have a book finished (I had two), but because I forgot what day it was. Oh well… That’s what happens when you’re on vacation, right? Now there are lots of books here and by the time you read this, I’ll be almost home. I’ve been gone a long time and I’m kind of looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 30

Dates read: September 17-21, 2022
Title: Rebels and Lovers
Year of publication: 2010/2016
Author: Linnea Sinclair
Genre: Sci-fi romance
Series: Dock Five Universe #4
# of Pages: 311
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Out of options… Techno-billionaire Devin Guthrie can’t forget Captain Makaiden Griggs even though it’s been two years since she was in his family’s employ. A Guthrie does not fall in love with a mere shuttle pilot. Going against his wealthy family’s wishes isn’t an option—not with the Empire in political upheaval, much of it caused by Devin’s renegade older brother, Admiral Philip Guthrie.
    When a Guthrie heir—Devin’s nineteen-year old nephew, Trip— goes missing, Devin’s loyalty to his family’s edicts is put to the test. Suddenly the unthinkable becomes the only option available: Devin must break the rules and ally himself with Kaidee Griggs, the one woman he could never forget, the one woman he was forbidden to love. It’s a desperate move that could change the fate of the Empire—and the Guthrie family forever.
My thoughts: I really liked this book (and the series). I wish there were more, but there isn’t. At least you’re not left hanging. Yay!

Book 31

Dates read: September 22-26, 2022
Title: Presumed Guilty
Year of publication: 1993/2019
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: N/A
# of Pages: 199
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Miranda Wood thinks she has seen the last of Richard Tremain, her rich and married ex-lover—until she discovers him stabbed to death in her bed. With her knife.
    Miranda is the obvious suspect, and she looks even guiltier when her bail is posted by an anonymous donor. Was this an act of kindness designed to buy her time to clear her name? Or is someone trying to manipulate Miranda and draw her into the dark and secret world of a murdered man, where everybody’s presumed guilty?
    With her world falling around her, Miranda is determined to discover who killed Richard. But proving her innocence may become secondary to staying alive.…
My thoughts: This was an enjoyable quick read. Just what I needed for my vacation.

Book 32

Dates read: September 26-29, 2022
Title: Under the Knife
Year of publication: 1990/2020
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: N/A
# of Pages: 207
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: For David Ransom, it begins as an open-and-shut case. Malpractice. As attorney for a grieving family, he's determined to hang a negligent doctor. Then Dr. Kate Chesne storms into his office, daring him to seek out the truth -- that she's being framed.
    First, it was Kate's career that was in jeopardy. Then, when another body is discovered, David begins to believe her. Suddenly, it's much more. Somewhere in the Honolulu hospital, a killer walks freely among patients and staff. And now David finds himself asking the same questions Kate is desperate to have answered. Who is next? And why?
My thoughts: Another enjoyable, quick read. This story couldn’t have been written now. It’s amazing how much life has changed (technology-wise) in 30 years. And 1990 doesn’t seem all that long ago. To me, anyway.

Book 33

Dates read: September 30-October 4, 2022
Title: Perilous Trust
Year of publication: 2017
Author: Barbara Freethy
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Off the Grid: FBI Series #1
# of Pages: 228
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: It was one dark night that brought Damon Wolfe and Sophie Parker together. They were two tortured souls, looking for escape, and they weren't supposed to see each other ever again…
    Four years later, Sophie's FBI father, who is also Damon's mentor, is killed in a suspicious car crash after leaving Sophie a cryptic message to trust no one from the agency. When Damon shows up looking for her, she isn't sure if he's friend or enemy, but she knows he could easily rip apart what is left of her heart.
    The last thing Damon wants is to get involved with Sophie again. It was hard enough to walk away the first time. But she's in trouble, her father's reputation is under attack, and the lives of his fellow agents are at stake if there's a traitor in their midst.
    When someone starts shooting at them, they have no choice but to go on the run and off the grid. Everyone in their world becomes a suspect. They want to uncover the truth, but will it turn out to be the last thing they expect? Proving her father's innocence might just cost them their hearts…and their lives…

My thoughts: I enjoyed this well enough. I think I got this book free from B&N (since I’m a member, I’ve been getting my choice of a free e-book each month, which has been kind of nice). Don’t know if I’ll buy the others in the series, though. I just have too many series going on right now. At least this didn’t leave me hanging. It can be read as a stand alone.

The next time I post will most likely be a week after surgery (that happens on Oct 11). So far all my surgeries have gone smoothly (and so has recovery). I’m hoping that trend continues!

If I do post next Wednesday, it’ll be some pictures of our trip. I actually downloaded them to my computer already (shocker!). So if I remember, I’ll get that scheduled once I get home. “Remember” being the KEY word there. Haha!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Prayers this surgery goes just as well!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Alex!