Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Finished Reading “Fractured” and Book vs TV

I’m feeling a little bit better than last time I posted. Don’t know if it’s the weather, or getting back out there and walking, or if it’s because I finally feel ready for Literary Love Savannah 2023 (I got off my duff and organized my stuff for that book convention). I always spend way more than I ever make at that convention, but I have fun, so I figure it’s worth that, at least. I also crochet lots of stuff I give away (either in raffle baskets or with swag). Makes me think that I should have a character in my books who crochets a lot. Then giving this stuff out as swag would make more sense!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 36

Dates read: July 8-12, 2023
Title: Fractured
Year of publication: 2008
Author: Karin Slaughter
Genre: Crime Fiction/Suspense
Series: Will Trent #2
# of Pages: 503
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased used
Blurb from Book: When Atlanta housewife Abigail Campano comes home unexpectedly one afternoon, she walks into a nightmare. A broken window, a bloody footprint on the stairs, and, most devastating of all, the horrifying sight of her teenage daughter lying dead on the landing, a man standing over her with a bloody knife. The struggle which follows changes Abigail’s life forever.
    When the local police make a misjudgement which not only threatens the investigation but places a young girl’s life in danger, the case is handed over to Special Agent Will Trent of the Criminal Apprehension Team—paired with detective Faith Mitchell, a woman who resents him from their first meeting.
    But in the relentless heat of a Georgia summer, Will and Faith realize that they must work together to find the brutal killer who has targeted one of Atlanta’s wealthiest, most priviledged communities—before it’s too late.
My thoughts: I realized early on that I had a UK version of this book. I guess that’s what I get for buying it at Half Price Books, huh? I don’t think it mattered in the long run (I got used to the ‘ vs “ marks in dialogue). This is the story that was used in the pilot of the television series “Will Trent”. And as early as I had seen that, I still couldn’t remember whodunit. Very good read. And I just ignore how the author describes the characters. I go by who’s playing them in the TV series. It’s just easier for me that way.

Do you read books that were based on a television series you watch? Or have you watched television series based on books you’ve already read? Which do you prefer? I read the Sookie Stackhouse books while I was watching True Blood. But I didn’t start reading the first book until after the first season ended. I was afraid I would spoil things. Silly me. I should have known by then that TV and movies RARELY are the same as the books. And… the books are always better. Agree? So I have no problems reading the Will Trent books and hope the series has been renewed. Because I know the TV series will eventually veer in a different direction than the book series. And I like them both.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've read Star Trek, Stargate, and Star Wars books that were spinoff stories from their series.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Those kind of spin off books usually have to stay within certain guidelines. At least, that's what I've heard. Whereas television seems to go wherever they want!