Friday, June 24, 2016

Storms and Walking

We had some nasty storms come through early Thursday morning. Like 3am early. And we were on a tornado watch, so I really couldn’t go back to sleep until the storms passed. When my alarm went off at 6am, I almost didn’t want to get up. But I did. I blame my husband and the Fit Bit for that (more on that later).

I got dressed, went downstairs, and checked the weather. Hmmm… It was still cloudy, but the radar wasn’t showing anything. Could I walk to the fitness center without getting wet? I decided not to risk it and drove.

Good thing I did, too. Apparently during the storm a tree decided to fall across the sidewalk I normally take. I would have had to detour. Plus, it started raining on the drive. Yep, made a good decision. Just meant I had to walk my five miles on the treadmill.

And let me tell you, that’s not fun at all.

I discovered that when I want to walk faster on the treadmill, I have a harder time reading. Or maybe it was due to the fact I was blowing my nose every five minutes. Yeah, this cold is still lingering, but I’m not going to let it stop me from exercising.

I walked for 45 minutes before my weight routine and then 45 minutes (faster and on an incline) after. Got my five miles and 10+K steps. Felt good about that.

So what does my husband and Fit Bit have to do with my going to the fitness center?

Hubby likes to create these challenges with me. Like I even have a shot at winning. He walks 10 miles to my 5. Still, I want to at least make it a respectable loss, so I couldn’t not walk yesterday.

Funny thing is, I had a good shot at beating him last week. He couldn’t walk for a couple of days because of weather (threat of rain in the afternoon). Unfortunately, I got sick, so I didn’t walk, either. He won. Bummer!

But this will be the first week I’ve walked 5+ miles five days in a row (because I will be walking this morning). I feel pretty good about that, even if I don’t beat Hubby.

Tonight Hubby and I will be going to a Dragons game. Got another one to go to tomorrow. Weather looks to be a whole bunch better. Temps will be in the mid 80s but the dew points will be in the low 50s. I like those numbers!

So… Are you doing anything fun this weekend? Besides the games, it looks to be rather quiet around here. Hmmm… Maybe I’ll take a walk!

Have a great Friday!

Stacy

9 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I'll be doing some walking too, though probably on the treadmill, as it's supposed to be pretty hot out. I also have a print book interior to lay out, and a couple of newsletters to write. Oh, and I'm going to build a sparrow trap. I'm tired (literally) of being woken up at the crack of dawn every day. There is one particular bird that has Got. To. Go.

Have fun at the game!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - If you walk in the morning, it's not so bad. And that sparrow is apparently trying to help you to get up early! haha :D

JeffO said...

Quiet weekend for me, figure I get to mow the lawn and maybe try to dig into The Next One, which still hasn't quite settled for me. Good for you on all your walking, hope the cold (finally) clears up!

Stephanie Faris said...

I now have a "team" on Fitbit, which is mostly made up of people who found me over there through Facebook. The runners frustrate me SO much. I'll have 12,000 steps in and feel like I've done well and see myself down there at 70,000 for the week, AT THE BOTTOM! The runners are all up at the top with their 100,000 steps for 7 days.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I like quiet weekends. I do get writing done on those days. Hope it inspiration hits you!

Stephanie - That's what I have to face with Hubby. He blows me out of the water every week! Oh, and 70K would beat me, so you wouldn't be on the bottom if I were on your team. Haha!

The Happy Whisk said...

We started our weekend last night at Barnes and it was lovely. Now, I'm reading a few posts (weekend reader, am I), and then off to make dough for spelt flatbread with homemade peanut butter (no celery!).

Sorry you're not feeling 100 percent yet.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy - Yay! No celery with the peanut butter. I tried that once, thinking it would make celery taste better. Nope! Ruined my peanut butter! Haha!

Maria Zannini said...

We did our garage sale this weekend and I feel like somebody ran me over and then backed up.

So glad that's over.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I tried doing a garage sale once. Never again. At least you can enjoy Sunday, right?