Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Wednesday Reads and one Sucky Tuesday

Tuesday officially SUCKED and I had such high hopes for that day. First, I took my car to Nissan for them to replace my satellite radio. Now the display only shows the channel, not the artist playing, like it used to. Grrr… Second, I went to get my new glasses. I normally have issues with new frames. This time I have a HUGE issue with the lenses. The reading lens is way too narrow, plus the two bottom lenses are too low. I have to lift my head way up just to read my laptop through the middle lens. FAIL! I’ll be going back today to get them fixed (what a pain). Third (I guess things DO happen in threes), I go to open the document I started for today’s blog post only to find out it’s gone. Of course it is, because the day SUCKED! Needless to say, I got NO writing done on my WIP. Just not in the mood. Hopefully today is a better day.

Here’s what I read the past week:

November 10: “Closer Than You Think” by Karen Rose, #1 in the Cincinnati series, a romantic suspense at 678 pages. Blurb from book: Psychologist Faith Corcoran is desperate to escape the stalker who’s made her life a nightmare for the past year—desperate enough to run to the one place that has been her nightmare far longer. Both boon and bane, her recent inheritance of her grandmother’s old house in Cincinnati offers sanctuary in which she can start her life anew, but requires that she face the dark memories that still resonate to this day. But she has no idea how close to home her fears still are. Two college girls have gone missing in the area, and FBI Special Agent Deacon Novak is called to work on the case. When his inquiry unexpectedly leads him to Faith, he finds a beautiful and brave woman he can’t help but fall for. Soon they’ll discover that this seemingly simple investigation is anything but. Reaching back decades into Faith’s own past, it will shatter everything she believes in to be true and will give terrifying new meaning to flesh and blood. This was one whopper of a book. Lots of twists and turns and hard to put down. I didn’t figure out who was responsible until the end.

I have to admit, though, I don’t know if I would have enjoyed this book as much if I had read it on an e-reader. I had to go back numerous times to re-check stuff, which I could easily find because I knew how far along I’d read. I just can’t do that with an e-reader. And while I took my Nook on the cruise, I never used it. I brought two paper books with me, which turned out to be the right number for the short cruise. Next time I might need to use the Nook, though. It’ll be a longer cruise!

So… Do bad things happen to you in threes? They certainly seem to happen in bunches though, don’t they? Hopefully all my bad mojo was contained in one day—yesterday. I don’t think I could stand two days (or worse—three days) in a row like yesterday.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, that did suck. Nothing worse than having to go back to have them fix an issue a second time.

JeffO said...

I don't know if bad things happen in threes or not, but when a day turns bad, things just seem to pile up, don't they? I'm sorry you had such a lousy Tuesday. The good news? It's OVER! Hope today is way, way better.

Maria Zannini said...

Sounds like the after effects of a full moon day--and you had a Super Moon.

Hope they get your glasses fixed. That's a real pain.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I'll be shocked the day I get my glasses right the first time!

Jeff - Loved to say today is better. Loved to. :(

Maria - Darn Super Moon! Doesn't seem fair, since I'm a moonchild (sign of Cancer). Now I have to wait another week. Glasses have to be remade. At least my current pair works.

LD Masterson said...

Stacy, double check on the radio. I had one with XM Satellite once that had different display settings - Channel or Song Title or Song and Artist - but it was really unclear on how to change the setting. Maybe the setting you want is just hiding.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Linda - Stupid me--I found the setting earlier today (pays to read to owners manual!!). I'm happy now. :)