Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Visit to the Windy City

This past holiday weekend my husband and I accompanied another couple and visited Chicago. We did the same thing two years ago, and decided on the drive back to make it an event every other year (last year we went to St. Louis, next year maybe Tennessee somewhere). We like to go somewhere on Memorial Day weekend apparently. It’s better than sitting around at home.

We couldn’t have asked for better weather. I was afraid it would be too cold (since it was on Friday night, when we arrived), but it warmed up each day, eventually hitting the 80’s (and a bit muggy, too). No complaints, though – better than being cold!

On Saturday we did a very touristy thing and took a Segway tour. Three hours! My feet got a bit tired (and my nose & neck got sunburned), but it was a great tour (and lots of fun, too). We “drove” to Millennium Park, Buckingham Fountain, Soldier Field (couldn’t get inside, though), Northerly Island, and along the lake. Most of the pictures are on my husband’s camera and I will eventually get my hands on them. (It was so bright outside that the screen on the back of my camera looked black, so I couldn’t “see” what picture I was taking). The guide we had was very amusing and knowledgeable (and not bad to look at, either!).

On Sunday we went to a Cubs game. It was my husband’s & my first visit to Wrigley Field (our friends are big Cubs fans and have gone many times). Of course, the Cubs lost and our friends blame my husband, but not me (yes, it’s that kind of friendship). I wasn’t outwardly rooting for the St. Louis Cardinals like my husband was (whose only goal was to aggravate our friends), but I was certainly not unhappy about the result. What can I say? I hate the Cubs!! My husband, on the other hand, doesn’t care. It’s not like it was football.

All in all it was a short trip, but lots of fun. The city is gun ho on the Blackhawks right now (in the Stanley Cup Finals), and I was more than willing to root for them (since I don’t like the Flyers). We did look into getting tickets for Saturday’s game, but at $250 for standing room only, we nixed that idea.

Looking forward to our next “long” weekend (which will involve some vacation time). My son will be performing with his choir at Lincoln Center in NYC. Can’t miss that!

2 comments:

DL Hammons said...

That does sound like a fun weekend! I've been to Chicago many times but I've never been to a Cubs game. :(

Stacy McKitrick said...

If you ever go, be prepared for lots of people and a long line for the train afterward. Luckily, we went to a day game and weren't in any hurry to leave. Riding the train is the way to go in that city.