Monday, September 27, 2010

Goals

First off, I want to say:  I GOT MY LAPTOP BACK!  YEA!

And while I thought I would be posting this from my laptop, the first thing I did when I got home was copy my C:Drive to another computer (to be backed up on a 3rd harddrive).  Now I see why I haven't backed up before.  It's SLOW.  2-1/2 hours later it's still backing up.  But I will have a copy - that's all that matters.

Now on to my blog:

I’ve joined a group whose sole purpose is for me to post my goals for the next 100 days to help me meet them (we’re to also post our weekly goals needed to obtain the overall goal).

They don’t have to be writing goals. They can be anything. So I posted the following goals I wish to obtain by January 1st:

1) Continue to query THE UNCOMMON ONE until I’ve exhausted all avenues of submission (unless I require an agent or get published before then).
2) Edit SARAH’S TURN and provide to beta readers (this goal won’t start until mid-October, since I want to give myself six weeks away from the story).
3) Complete one-forth to one-third of MEMORIES (my third book - tentatively titled).
4) Watch last season’s episodes of “Grey’s Anatomy” that is recorded on our DVR.
5) Finish crocheting the tablecloth I promised my friend I would have done by last Christmas.

They aren’t elaborate goals and I’d like #3 to actually state finishing said novel, but I am trying to be realistic. I don’t want to make the goal too hard to reach (and #2 may take up more of my time than I realize).

I don’t think I’ll have any problem reaching goals 1-3. I love writing and I want to get published. #4 is time away from writing, and also requires coordinating time with my husband, but I do like the show and I want to watch it. #5 is the toughest. My friend would LOVE it if I finished the darn thing, so I will try, working on it during football games. It may very well be my last crochet project. At least it will be while I’m employed full-time. When I retire, I may rethink the whole craft project thing.

So…Do you find writing your goals down, and telling other people, help you get them done? We’ll see how it works for me come January 1st.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish you the best of luck with all your goals! I've joined the bandwagon for the month of October to blog everyday and then I've joined the bandwagon (NANOWRIMO) for November to write 50K+ words in 30 days. I guess we'll find out if I work well under pressure.

The goals I set are always over-achiever goals, you know, the one's you can never meet because they're way unrealistic, yeah that's me.

Good Luck!