Friday, October 23, 2015

Now I Can Say I’ve Done THAT

Well, I had my heart catheterization procedure yesterday. The procedure itself wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It was the recovery that stunk.

I was given a sedative during the procedure, so I was awake during it all, just kind of loopy. Not such a bad state to be in when you don’t want to know what’s going on around your groin area.

But then the nurse had to remove the tube from my groin. Even that was painless. It wasn’t until she had to push down with all her might (I swear it felt like it) to keep the artery from bleeding. That hurt. A lot. For 20 minutes.

Then I had to lie on my back, keep my leg straight and still, for FOUR HOURS. Okay, they lifted my head up a little (very little) so I could eat (they provided me dinner, which my husband had to feed to me). I wasn’t allowed to lift my neck or move my leg. You try doing that for four hours and see how you feel. It’s especially bad when you have an itch.

Then you have my husband, who decided to have some fun. I was told I had to drink plenty of water to flush the die out of my system. I asked him for some water. He proceeded to dip his fingers in the cup and flick the water in my face.

Now, is that the sign of a loving husband or what? Of course, I laughed (which he knew I would) and I told him if he even tried that sh*t after my surgery, I would take a baseball bat to him. I don’t know if I want to laugh after the surgery. It’ll probably hurt!

Anyway, you should have seen the way he fed me dinner. Kind of hard to eat while laughing AND lying on your back.

Oh, and by the way, the catheterization went well. I have no blockage anywhere. My arteries are AWESOME! It’s just my valve that’s broken. It was nice to hear how HEALTHY I am otherwise. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like it, though (allergies, knee, feet).

Today I get to see my surgeon and then get cleared for surgery. We’re hoping to get out of here in time to see the football game, but it’ll be cutting it close. My last appointment is with admitting at 2pm. We’ve got a 3+ hour drive ahead of us. Our luck, we’ll hit rush hour traffic!

Have a great weekend. I’m certainly going to try. J



JeffO said...

Laughter is the best medicine, even if it hurts when you laugh.

Glad to hear you've got such good arteries--probably from all the times your husband made your blood pressure shoot up through the roof!

Seriously, good luck today, I hope you make your football game. Sounds like you deserve a little fun.

Maria Zannini said...

Re: I don’t know if I want to laugh after the surgery. It’ll probably hurt!

Greg had to send my kid sister out of the room because I was laughing so hard it was killing me.

Glad this part is over. On to the next. So far, so good, right?

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad it went well and it sounds like your honey bunny knows you well and makes you laugh, often. That is, the best.

Healing wishes.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Glad all went well! Hope you make it to the game and have FUN!

Unknown said...

Good to hear the procedure went well. It sounds like you're rebounding well and it sounds like DH knows how to keep your spirits up. Now if only the Steelers stay on course w/ a winning streak...take care of yourself. --T

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Made it to the football game and they won! 9-0. One game left before playoffs. :)

Maria - I know laughter is supposed to be the best medicine, but I can't see how if there's a possibility of ripping out stitches. :)

Ivy - Yeah, hunny bunny is a laugh of minute. Has been since we've been dating! :)

Jennette - Game was great! Love shut outs. :)

Tanja - It would be nice if the Steelers can keep winning. At least Vick is out! :)

All -- I have news regarding my surgery. Stay tuned on Monday! :)