Friday, May 6, 2016

There Was This Grand Plan – Part I

In an effort to get newsletter subscribers to actually OPEN my newsletters, I wrote a couple of character interviews (based on my Bitten by Love series). They turned out pretty good, too. But alas, not many people actually read them and my plan to have five interviews for the newsletter was cut to only two.

I want to share these interviews now (and yes, this post is kind of long—for me). A Vampire Wedding is due out this month (that pesky copy editor, who happens to be my daughter, is finally working on my piece—yay!), and the “interviewer,” Perry, returns in that novella, so what better time to share these with everyone else?

For those who haven’t read this series, Perry first showed up in Bite Me, I’m Yours and then later in Blind Temptation. He’s one of my favorite characters (probably why he keeps popping up in my books) and I had a lot of fun writing the scenes between him and Victoria in Blind Temptation (and no, he’s not the hero in that book). And that’s when I came up with the idea of him interviewing the Committee Members for their vampire website. The second interview is with Jack (My Sunny Vampire) and I’ll post that next Friday.

If you subscribe to my newsletter and have already read this, sorry for the repeat. Unless you really, really liked it, then you can enjoy it again!

 

Getting to Know Your Committee Members by Perry Davenport.

First up: Victoria Braeden

Victoria: This interview is stupid. Why does everyone need to know more about me? Are you recording this? Don’t record this! Damn it, Perry.

Perry: [snickers] Lighten up, Vicky.

Victoria: How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?

Perry: Maybe when you start liking it.

Victoria: [mumbles]

Perry: What was that? I didn’t hear you.

Victoria: [rattles off some German words]*

Perry: Just so you readers know, Victoria doesn’t like to be called Vicky, so if you’d like to see her all riled up, that’d be a way to do it.

Victoria: That better be stricken before this is published. And I get final look at the material.**

Perry: Whatever you say, Victoria. Why don’t we get started? My name is Perry Davenport, as if you didn’t already guess, and I’ve been summoned to interview each Committee Member so all you vampires out there might understand them a little better.

Victoria: Summoned? Really? This was your idea!

Perry: And a good one at that, too. Don’t you think? Our first guest, as if you couldn’t tell, is the not-so-lovely Victoria Braeden.

Victoria: What? That wasn’t very nice. You plan on insulting all your guests?

Perry: Only the difficult ones.

[sound of Perry’s arm getting punched]

Perry: Feel better?

Victoria: For someone who wants my cooperation, you sure are going about it all wrong.

Perry: You’re right, and I apologize. So let’s get on with this, shall we? As many of you know, she became a member in 1932. But let’s find out stuff you don’t know. Victoria, do you have a favorite blood type?

Victoria: All the blood types taste the same to me.

Perry: Even diabetics? I love that nice sweet taste as it rolls over my tongue. Real rush!

Victoria: Good for you.

Perry: How about sex? Prefer one over the other?

Victoria: I’m not going to talk about my sex life, you pervert.

Perry: I meant the sex of your donor.

Victoria: Oh. I prefer women over men.

Perry:  Oooh… Tell us more.

Victoria: Oh, don’t be disgusting. I don’t feed for sex, unlike you. It’s just I’m used to women and my late husband didn’t necessarily like me feeding from men.

Perry: Controlling, was he?

Victoria: No. We both agreed not to feed from the opposite sex. That’s called compromise. Something you’ll never understand.

Perry: Whatever. What type of music do you enjoy?

Victoria: I absolutely love Beethoven. I got to see him perform in person. And then met him afterward. Such a gentleman. It was so exciting.

Perry: Anything more…modern?

Victoria: Henrik took me to see Benny Goodman once. He was very entertaining.

Perry: How about something in the 21st century? Like 50 cent. Coldplay. Maroon 5. Neon Trees.

Victoria: Now you’re just making names up.

Perry: I’ll take that as a no, then. What’s your favorite vacation spot?

Victoria: Germany.

Perry: Can you be a little more specific?

Victoria: Anywhere in Germany.

Perry: You know, you’re allowed to elaborate. Maybe you’d be better at a quick round. Which do you prefer? House on the beach or cabin in the woods?

Victoria: As long as it’s in Germany, I don’t care.

Perry: That’s not what I… [groans]. Between those two, and it doesn’t matter where in the world, which would you prefer?

Victoria: Are they light tight?

Perry: Yes!

Victoria: Don’t get huffy with me. You’re the one asking the stupid questions.

Perry: They’re not stupid. They’re supposed to make you think. How about, granny panties, silky thong, or commando?

Victoria: What does that have to do with a house on the beach or a cabin in the woods?

Perry: They don’t. What do you like? Which are you wearing?

Victoria: You’re sick, you know that?

Perry: I don’t see a panty line so I’m thinking commando. Or maybe a thong.

Victoria: That does it. This interview is over.

[sound of chair sliding across the floor followed by the slam of a door]***

Perry: Well, that was fun, wasn’t it? Come back next month when I interview Jack VanAllen. Someone who will probably be more cooperative than Victoria

Notes from Perry:

* If I knew German, I’d put down what she said. But I don’t so I won’t even try. However, I’m pretty sure she was cussing. She likes to cuss in German.

** Victoria got final look at the material. It just wasn’t the material I published.

*** Victoria has a glare that could melt ice. I’m just saying…

 
Will Perry ever have his own book? If I continue with the series, he most likely will. He’s a fun character to write, that’s for sure.

So… Got plans for the weekend? I’m going to see “Captain America: Civil War” on Sunday. Already have my tickets. Can’t wait!

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother’s Day!

Stacy

4 comments:

JeffO said...

I have never been one for character interviews, either reading or writing them. Don't know why.

I get to work on Saturday for about half the day. Somewhere in between all the rain, I'll try to mow the lawn, too. Have a good weekend!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I wasn't much into reading character interviews, either, until I read one. Hooked me on the character and I ended up buying all the books! Hey, if I can do that to at least one reader, yay me! Right?

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I read these in your newsletters and enjoyed them. But then I already knew the characters from reading your books. I was wondering how this worked in the newsletters - thanks for being so honest!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - 97 people opened that newsletter. I thought my interview deserved a larger audience. And now it's out there FOR-EV-ER! :)