Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Reading Update and Today’s the Big Day

Today is my surgery day. Since I’m posting this the night before, I can’t tell you how well it went. Only that I have to report to surgery at 6:30am.

I won’t have my computer, so unless I’m able to comment via my phone (and last time I tried to do that I ran into issues—which always seems to happen with my phone), don’t expect to hear from me until after I get home (which I hope will be Thursday, but could very well be Friday).

Well, unless you follow me on Facebook. I will have access to that.

Of course, who knows how “with it” I’ll be after a 2-4 hour surgery. I’m sure I’ll want to do a lot of sleeping. Although… the Pens play at 6:30pm. If the hospital gets NBC Sports Network, I’ll have it on to watch the game. And I’ll definitely try to stay awake!

Go Pens!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #29

Dates read: May 17-21, 2021
Title: The Slaughtered Lamb
Year of publication: 2020
Author: Seana Kelly
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Sam Quinn, Book 1
# of Pages: 272
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Gift from friend
Blurb from book: Welcome to The Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar. I’m Sam Quinn, the werewolf book nerd in charge. I run my business by one simple rule: Everyone needs a good book and a stiff drink, be they vampire, wicche, demon, or fae. No wolves, though. Ever. I have my reasons.
    I serve the supernatural community of San Francisco. We’ve been having some problems lately. Okay, I’m the one with the problems. The broken body of a female werewolf washed up on my doorstep. What makes sweat pool at the base of my spine, though, is realizing the scars she bears are identical to the ones I conceal. After hiding for years, I’ve been found.
    A protection I’ve been relying on is gone. While my wolf traits are strengthening steadily, the loss is leaving my mind vulnerable to attack. Someone is ensnaring me in horrifying visions intended to kill. Clive, the sexy vampire Master of the City, discovers how to pull me out and designates himself my personal bodyguard. He’s grumpy about it, but that kiss is telling a different story. A change is taking place. It has to. The bookish bartender must become the fledgling badass.
    I’m a survivor. I’ll fight fang and claw to protect myself and the ones I love. And let’s face it, they have it coming.
My thoughts: Some might call this a paranormal romance, but I don’t label first person stories in that genre. For a romance, I need the details from both points of view. So I’m calling this an urban fantasy with romantic elements. And for that, it was a very good story. I enjoyed it.

Book #30

Dates read: May 22-24, 2021
Title: The Dead Don’t Drink at Lafitte’s
Year of publication: 2021
Author: Seana Kelly
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Sam Quinn, Book 2
# of Pages: 326
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Gift from friend
Blurb from book: I’m Sam Quinn, the werewolf book nerd owner of the Slaughtered Lamb Bookstore and Bar. Things have been busy lately. While the near-constant attempts on my life have ceased, I now have a vampire gentleman caller. I’ve been living with Clive and the rest of his vampires for a few weeks while the Slaughtered Lamb is being rebuilt. It’s going about as well as you’d expect.
    My mother was a wicche and long dormant abilities are starting to make themselves known. If I’d had a choice, necromancy wouldn’t have been my top pick, but it’s coming in handy. A ghost warns me someone is coming to kill Clive. When I rush back to the nocturne, I find vamps from New Orleans readying an attack. One of the benefits of vampires looking down on werewolves is no one expects much of me. They don’t expect it right up until I take their heads.
    Now, Clive and I are setting out for New Orleans to take the fight back to the source. Vampires are masters of the long game. Revenge plots are often decades, if not centuries, in the making. We came expecting one enemy, but quickly learn we have darker forces scheming against us. Good thing I’m the secret weapon they never see coming.
My thoughts: Lots of action in this book. Very entertaining.

I always seem to have lots of news on those posts that have more than one book read. Today is no different.

My Sunny Vampire is on sale at Amazon for the Kindle for $.99 until June 1st. If you have a friend who likes paranormal romances and reads on a Kindle (or Kindle app), let them know about this deal. I call it the Memorial Day/Surgery Day sale. Here’s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Vampire-Bitten-Love-Book-ebook/dp/B0769MBPWQ/

Happy Reading!

Stacy

4 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Take care, Stacy. I hope your surgery goes well and you're home by tomorrow.

Maria Zannini said...

Praying for you, my friend.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pray everything went well today!

Stacy McKitrick said...

All - I made it home on Friday. It felt nice to sleep in my own bed, but it's hard for me to roll over. Doctors put a lot of holes in my belly (7) and it hurts (of course). But each day is getting better, so that's good! Thanks for all the well-wishes. Much appreciated.