Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Reading Update and Kindle Unlimited

I put my Bitten by Love series into Kindle Unlimited because I was under the impression that paranormal romances do well there and that Amazon favors those books (somehow).

Plus, you get to put your book on sale during a Kindle countdown. So I did that with My Sunny Vampire (reduced the price to 99 cents). The only advertising I did was the same advertising I did on Amazon (although I did mention the sale here and on Facebook), because I was also under the impression that my book would be featured on Amazon as a countdown deal.

I never saw the feature. And that countdown only generated 2 sales.

TWO. SALES.

I think if I make my books EXCLUSIVE to Amazon, they should do more. Else, why stay exclusive?

Which means in July I will take the Bitten by Love out of KU and make the series wide again. Heck, the KU reads I’m getting really aren’t all that significant, either. Being exclusive isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #31

Dates read: May 25-June 1, 2021
Title: The Reluctant Amazon
Year of publication: 2012/2021
Author: Sandy James
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Alliance of the Amazons Book 1
# of Pages: 274
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: The last thing Rebecca Massee expects on her wedding day is to go from jilted kindergarten teacher to Amazonian Earth warrior. But when she causes an earthquake after her groom says I don't, she discovers that not only does she possess incredible powers, she is one of four lost chosen sisters who must fight to keep humanity safe from rogue gods and demons. Luckily she has help: ruggedly handsome Scottish warrior Artair MacKay, her protector and teacher.
    An immortal, Artair has trained countless warriors for more than four hundred years. He understands Rebecca's confusion at the new world she's been thrust into and worries she is too emotionally vulnerable, but that doesn't stop his growing feelings for the beautiful and fearless woman.
    When an evil force threatens to destroy the Amazons, Rebecca must claim her full powers--but they come at a cost. Can she sacrifice the man she loves if it means saving the world?

My thoughts: I had trouble getting into this book, which I kind of blame on my surgery. But if I were reading a book from one of my favorite authors would that have made a difference? See… I’m not sure. There is only a minor cliff-hanger, which I expected since it’s a series, but otherwise, it has a satisfied ending. If I really liked the Amazons, I might pick up the next one, but none of them piqued my interest. Doesn’t mean they won’t pique yours. If you’re looking for a different kind of paranormal romance, it won’t hurt to give this one a try.

So… I’m doing fairly well after surgery. I’m able to control what little pain I have with Tylenol or Ibuprofen (I haven’t touched the narcotics the doctor gave me). Unfortunately, I’ll have to wait a little longer to find out what kind of cancer I had, since the doctor won’t get the results until 7-10 days after surgery. Bugger.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you are keeping the pain under control.
Sounds like exclusive isn't worth it at all.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I was reluctant to go exclusive with Amazon, but I kept hearing great things. Maybe my hearing is going bad! :D

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm glad you're doing well - hope things keep improving!
I've never done KU - and you've just reinforced why. I've heard many authors say similar things! Good luck with wide. (There's a Wide For The Win FB group that is full of amazing tips and people!)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jemi - I just put in a request to join that group. Thanks for mentioning it!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I'm also not a fan of KU/Amazon exclusive. Although props to you for giving it a try! You never know otherwise.

Here's hoping for good news in 7-10 days, and for a speedy recovery!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yeah, I had to find out if it was worth it. Now I don't have to wonder anymore.

Maria Zannini said...

Glad to hear you're home!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I got home Friday. And was really glad to sleep in my own bed!