Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Reading Update and I Hurt

I’m hurting where I least expected it…my back. I’ve had back issues since I was 18 (doctor discovered I had a slight case of scoliosis). When I was 32 I was in agony for a whole month. I’m not that bad off now, but it’s not pleasant either. Motrin hasn’t worked all that well so far.

I’ve been super careful not to over exert myself since surgery. I was walking, going a little further each time, but the last time was only 1.37 miles (at a rather slow pace). I didn’t hurt during the walk, but later that night my back started stiffening and it’s not gotten any better.

Figures…  And if the pain wasn’t bad enough, the glue holding my incisions together is itching! I can’t seem to win any breaks here.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book #32

Dates read: June 1-8, 2021
Title: Frost and Flame
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Gena Showalter
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Gods of War #2
# of Pages: 411
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Bane of Adwaewith is the most feared immortal warrior in All War history. Possessed by a bloodthirsty beast, he will stop at nothing to win. Then he meets irresistible Nola Lee. He hates the power she wields over him, but she alone can rain vengeance upon his wife’s killer.
    Unaware of her destiny to rule as queen of beasts, Nola battles illness, addiction and vulnerability. With Bane, however, she experiences pleasure for the first time, and only wants more. But being with him comes with a terrible price.
    With enemies lurking around every corner, Bane and Nola must fight to survive. But time is running out, and neither can resist the sizzling attraction blazing between them. Will their romance save the beast and his beauty, or destroy everything they’ve come to love?
My thoughts: This story runs parallel to Book 1 in the series (Shadow and Ice). It threw me for a bit, and I had to hunt down the first book to make sure I wasn’t remembering stuff incorrectly (I wasn’t). The “All War” isn’t over with yet (although there isn’t a cliffhanger in this book or the first, just your typical series story unresolved), and I’d get book 3 to read, except… there isn’t one. That makes me sad. I’d like to know how the “All War” will end. Maybe she’ll get around to writing it someday. I’ll keep my eye out for it.

I see my urologist this afternoon and will hopefully find out what kind of cancer I had (I’ll say “had” because I don’t still want it in me!) and what my next steps are. I’ll keep you posted.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Really sorry your back hurts.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Thanks, Alex.

Maria Zannini said...

Are you icing your back? That's what Greg's chiro recommended to him. It helped him a lot.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Ugh, that sucks about your back pain - hope you're feeling better soon!

Tanja said...

Call your doc’s office, talk to nurse about the itching and back pain, and walking, etc.They’re the experts. Nurse will get back to you with recommendations from doc. We hate bothering people, but they need to know to better help you. And before you roll eyes at me, some post surgeries want you up and moving, some want you resting and limit exercises. Take care, Stacy,
I’m hoping for the best news from you soon.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I am not icing it. I need to get an ice pack. But motrin has been helping at times and I make sure to take advantage when it does (a back doesn't get better unless you use it--properly of course!).

Jennette - Me, too!

Tanja - I saw my doctor on Wednesday. She wants me to continue walking. And walking is also good for the back. So far it hasn't gotten worse, so that's a GOOD thing!