Thursday, February 9, 2023

Reading Update and It’s Treatment Day

I finished reading my latest book a couple of days ago, but just now getting around to writing this (and posting). We got back from our vacation on Sunday afternoon and I feel like I’ve been catching up since then. Also, yesterday I had a bugger of a headache (that stuck around until around 4am this morning), and I really didn’t feel like looking at my computer (if you know what I mean).

But this morning is going better. I leave in a couple of hours for my immunotherapy treatment (and really hoping my headache stays away) and I’m waiting on my coffee to finish brewing (oooh, I think it’s done!!).

Ahhh, that first sip. Yummy.

Anyway… Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 5

Dates read: January 31 – February 7, 2023
Title: Wicked Game
Year of publication: 2009
Author: Lisa Jackson & Nancy Bush
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Wicked #1
# of Pages: 366
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Free from B&N (as a member)
Blurb from Goodreads: One By One, They'll Die. . .
    Twenty years ago, wild child Jessie Brentwood vanished from St. Elizabeth's high school. Most in Jessie's tight circle of friends believed she simply ran away. Few suspected that Jessie was hiding a shocking secret-one that brought her into the crosshairs of a vicious killer. . .

    Until There's No One Left. . .
    Two decades pass before a body is unearthed on school grounds and Jessie's old friends reunite to talk. Most are sure that the body is Jessie's, that the mystery of what happened to her has finally been solved. But soon, Jessie's friends each begin to die in horrible, freak accidents that defy explanation. . .
    But Her. . .
    Becca Sutcliff has been haunted for years by unsettling visions of Jessie, certain her friend met with a grisly end. Now the latest deaths have her rattled. Becca can sense that an evil force is shadowing her too, waiting for just the right moment to strike. She feels like she's going crazy. Is it all a coincidence-or has Jessie's killer finally returned to finish what was started all those years ago?

My thoughts: For a suspense, this book was soooooo sloooooow. I did not need to know the back story of every freakin’ character! The basic story was interesting, I just wish the authors would have gotten to it sooner. Also, the romance was a bit confusing. Wasn’t sure WHO the romantic couple was going to be until almost a third through the book. I got this book free for being a member of Barnes & Noble (a choice from 5 given) and I love romantic suspense, so I thought—no brainer! I’m not going to bother getting the others in this series.

So far treatment is going well. If I have any side effects, I can’t contribute it to the drug. I have too many issues and can’t tell you what effect is from what! At least none of them are severe (which is the important thing). Dry, itchy skin. Weather or treatment? Fatigue. Treatment or just old age? Trouble climbing stairs. Heart or treatment? Or just out of shape? See what I mean?

But I did do better on the stairs during this past cruise than I did last year. I couldn’t even climb three flights last year. I did four with barely a stop for a breather (took them slow, though). So whatever is helping (heart clip, exercise, treatment), I’ll take it!

Now, it’s time for me to have breakfast. I find it helps if I eat before treatment (less chance of getting another headache).

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like you are ready for a Stairmaster!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Stairmaster. Or maybe doing my step aerobics WITH the step! :D