Well, just as we were afraid, two
of our Alaskan stops have been cancelled. Of course, they are two stops we had
never been to, but when weather strikes…
Seems there is gale-force winds in
our northerly route to Japan. In order to avoid that (and probably keep a
majority of the people free from sea sickness), the captain is taking a more
southerly route to Japan. But, because the southerly route takes longer, they
had to cancel Icy Strait Point and Hubbard Glacier. Maybe someday we’ll be on
another Alaskan cruise that will take us there. We did get to stop in Ketchikan
and get our grocery store run in. And we also said goodbye to land for about 8
days (I’m not sure if it’s 8 or 9, since we cross the International Date Line
and I’m not sure how that counts in everything—I’ll let you know when I do!). Good
thing we don’t mind so many sea days.
Here’s what I read since my last
update:
Book 24
Dates read: September 21-24, 2026
Title: By Way of Sorrow
Year of publication: 2021
Author: Robyn Gigl
Genre: Mystery thriller
Series: Erin McCabe Mysteries #1
# of Pages: 288
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Free from B&N
Blurb from book: Erin McCabe has been referred the biggest case of her career. Four months ago, William E. Townsend, Jr., son of a New Jersey State Senator, was found fatally stabbed in a rundown motel near Atlantic City. Sharise Barnes, a nineteen-year-old transgender prostitute, is in custody, and given the evidence against her, there seems little doubt of a guilty verdict.
Erin knows that defending Sharise will blow her own private life wide open, and doubtless deepen her estrangement from her family. Yet as a trans woman, she feels uniquely qualified to help Sharise, and duty-bound to protect her from the possibility of a death sentence.
Sharise claims she killed the senator's son in self-defense. As Erin assembles the case with her partner, former FBI agent Duane Swisher, the circumstances hint at a more complex and chilling story with ties to other brutal murders. Senator Townsend is using the full force of his prestige and connections to publicly discredit everyone involved in defending Sharise. Behind the scenes, his tactics are even more dangerous. His son had secrets that could destroy the senator's political aspirations--secrets worth killing for. And as leads begin mysteriously disappearing, it's not just the life of Erin's client at stake, but her own . . .
Recommend: Yes
My thoughts: I gobbled this one up. Great read! I really enjoyed it. And to think I got it as a freebie at B&N (at least, I’m pretty sure that’s where I got it since I don’t believe I would have found this otherwise). I liked the characters very much and will put the next book in the series on my wishlist.
I finally got through the edits on The Alien’s Change of
Heart. Now I just need to do another read-through before sending it back to
my editor. It’s almost done!!! Yay!!!
Happy Reading!
Stacy

No comments:
Post a Comment