Monday, February 20, 2012

Pet Peeves

I have many pet peeves, but then, don't we all? My husband's pet peeve is with people at the grocery store that have more items than the lane allows. He'll have one item, and the person in front will have a full cart. He'll voice his opinion about it, too. Loudly. While he's standing in the line.

I'm not that brave (I fear retaliation), but I do have pet peeves. One of them I can't really voice my opinion at the moment it happens. That's because that pet peeve has to do with drivers.

Why is it when there are three lanes on the freeway, the slowest drivers seem to drive in the MIDDLE lane? And that most of those slow vehicles are TRUCKS? When did the right lane stop being the slow lane?

The worst part is when one truck wants to pass another truck. Now the two fastest lanes have trucks side by side, right when we start traveling uphill. Both trucks slow down. Traffic backs up.

And I'm usually the one stuck wanting to get over to the right lane, but now I'm trapped because no one will pass.

Arrrghhh!!!

Does this bother anyone else?

Please share your pet peeve.


10 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

The traffic in Dallas flies so fast, I hardly ever notice slow drivers. If they're doing the speed limit, the middle lane is theirs. If for some reason they have to go under the speed limit, they need to stay on the right. The left, according to the letter of the law is for Passing only. But we have so much traffic in the big city, none of the lanes are ever empty.

Ref: grocery stores
A lot of times it's the clerk's doing. I've seen plenty of them invite someone with too many items into their lanes when they have no one coming to them. I get irritated too, but I can't blame the clerks too much. I don't want to be standing around with nothing to do either.

DL Hammons said...

My pet peeve...also driving related...are the drivers who do 50 MPH on the two lane road, but when they hit the section with a passing lane they suddenly speed up? ARGH!!!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria,
For traffic, I guess it would be different in a huge city, compared to a medium city, like Dayton. But I notice it not only on my drive to and from work, but when we're traveling, too.
As for the grocery store, I KNOW sometimes those lanes that say 12 items of fewer sometimes get some that have more, but I can't seem to get my husband to understand!

Stacy McKitrick said...

I'm with you there, DL! Drives me nuts, too!

The Happy Whisk said...

We have nearly zero traffic. If three cars are on a side road at once, it's a busy morning.

The main or sub-main (if that's a word), has more cars but really, it's nothing like when I lived on the east coast.

I honestly forgot what it was like to drive in crazy truckin', three lane highways.

But I don't like the new word verification that Blogger installed. Not sure if that counts as a pet peeve, but it sure gets my panties in a bunch.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Hey Whisk! Dayton is the largest "city" I've ever lived in, but NJ was the worst when it came to traffic. I hated the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike was even worse! Thank goodness I lived and worked on base then , so driving wasn't much of an issue.

As for the new word verification on Blogger, you should check out Maria Zannini's blog. She's posted some interesting facts about that!

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't know who she is.

The turnpike is a treat, now that you mention it.

The Happy Whisk said...

Ut, I see your blogger friend on the top of your comments. Will go check her out.

Tracy said...

I get irritated when I'm driving and stuff like that happens, but I think I'm much more like your husband. Don't EVEN think about getting in the 10 Items or Less line if you've got a good 30 things in your cart. 1 or 2 items over the limit, I'll turn a blind eye. But when I have 20 items, I wait in the correct line and I expect everyone else to as well.

And I'm not above embarrassing rule breakers because it irks me that bad!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Tracy - Yes, the grocery thing is irritating, especially when the place is busy. But most of the time it's the cashier's fault - they call them over because no one's in line. Of course, my husband let the cashier know of his displeasure, too. The man isn't subtle about anything!