Monday, February 25, 2019

I'm Trying

I’m trying sooooo hard. I’m trying to get my revisions done by Thursday (my goal for the month), but it’s not looking like it’ll happen. **weep, weep**

That’s because I didn’t take into account the appointments I have going on this week, the major changes that needed to occur, and, of course, feeling like crap (haha, pun intended) earlier in the month. But I’ve certainly worked hard on those days I could. So far this month I’ve worked on it 17 days, gone over the first 186 pages (so a little over 60% done), and added 6745 words (I’ve deleted some, too—man, that was hard!—so that’s the net change).

And because of my little hiccups, my new writing project has suffered (I stopped writing it) and my reading has suffered (thus, no book to report last Wednesday).

My exercise has suffered, too, but we won’t mention that. Shhhh.

Heck, I’m writing this during the Oscars, so I’m doing double duty!

I so much want to finish by Thursday, but I’m not going to rush this project. I want it to be a GOOD book, not one out quickly. And if my “slowness” causes me to not have it released in July, so be it. I won’t put out a book just to put it out there. I take pride in my work and I’d like to think my readers appreciate that.

I still love the revising process. I just forgot how hard it is!!

So… Did you watch the Oscars last night? I didn’t recognize a lot of films that were nominated. Is it because they weren’t shown around here? Or maybe I just never saw an ad for them (guess I’d have to go to the movies more often to see the ads, huh?).

Happy Monday.

Stacy

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Release it when it's ready - don't rush or worry about rushing.
Sorry, I skipped the political mess that is the Oscars now. My wife and I played a game while watching the first Avengers movie instead.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Actually, I didn't think the Oscars were all that political this year. It was pretty tame. And it actually finished before 11:30!!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Glad you're feeling better! Give yourself some slack.

I also did not finish my revision this week, because I forgot I needed to collect our tax stuff for the accountant. And I still left something out of what I gave him, so that's still not done!

I'd rather wait on a new book and get it when it's the best job the author can do, rather than read something that's rushed.

No Oscars here. No time for that, plus I hate all the politics that those shows have become.

Tanja said...

Slower progress than desired is still movement forward. Be kind to yourself! Your true readers understand.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I'm not even THINKING taxes until I'm finished with revisions. But if I learned anything, setting deadlines doesn't always work for me. Good thing my publisher doesn't mind. :D

Tanja - True, but it's sometimes hard to watch everyone zipping on past me.

JeffO said...

I know exactly how you feel. I was -this- close to finishing my revisions last night and just hit the point where I couldn't do anymore. And tonight? I'm finding that I'm not feeling all that well, so it could be another day. Take your time and do it right!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Yep, my brain pretty much shuts down after a couple of hours of revisions. But I'm able to take a break and then come back to it later. Slowly, but surely, I'll get this book ready for the editor.