Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Wednesday Reads and I'm Crazy

Last Thursday I actually finished the first draft of Biting the Curse. Yay! Just like I wanted. Double yay! And I even took Friday off to celebrate. Triple yay! But on Monday?

I not only started the revisions on BTC, I started a new book!

Oh my gosh! Am I crazy or what?

Mornings are still the best for writing first drafts and I don’t want to mess with that routine (or would that be muscle). It’s working tooooo well. But I can revise/edit anytime (I hope…we’ll see). And since I gave myself a deadline to finish revisions by Feb 28th, I’m determined. I only need to work on 13 pages a day. It sure helps to break it down into chunks, let me tell you.

And while I’m doing all the writing and revising, I’m still judging books, thus the lack of information I can give you on these books right now. Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #7

Dates read: January 27-29
Title: ?
Year of publication: 2018
Author: ?
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Series:  ?
# of Pages: 124
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Free (to judge)
Blurb from book: ?
My thoughts: Wasn’t fond of it. Bummer.

Book #8

Dates read: January 30-February 2
Title: ?
Year of publication: 2018
Author: ?
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series:  ?
# of Pages: 191
Paper or plastic: Nook
How obtained: Free (to judge)
Blurb from book: ?
My thoughts: Not a bad book. I’d recommend it to fans of the genre.

Book #9

Dates read: February 2-4
Title: ?
Year of publication: 2018
Author: ?
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series:  ?
# of Pages: 283
Paper or plastic: Paperback
How obtained: Free (to judge)
Blurb from book: ?
My thoughts: So far, the best of the bunch. I’d recommend it to fans of the genre.

I only have one more judged book to read. Yay! Except it’s in first person, present tense. Boo! I guess I can’t complain too much. I am reading romances, so it’s not all bad. But man, I’ll be glad to get back to my own stack of books.

So… If you find a routine is working, are you afraid to mess with it?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thirteen pages is doable.
Not a fan of first person.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I can handle first person if it's written well (and if I notice it, I don't consider it written well). But it's hard to enjoy when BOTH characters are written that way and add in present tense... Double whammy!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Very rarely can I stand present tense. If I can read it, it's very well done!

Your new schedule sounds like it's totally working for you - keep it up! Makes total sense to me to write in the AM, and do the other stuff in the afternoon.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - I made sense? That's gotta be a first. Haha!!

JeffO said...

You all will hate my MS when it becomes a book someday, first person present. It just wants to be told that way.

And congrats on finishing one and starting another--way to go!!!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - I've read ONE book series that I didn't realize was present tense at the time I read it: The Hunger Games. It's one of my favorites, too. It takes real skill to make a reader not notice that, though. I hope you're one of those writers!