Monday, March 11, 2019

Emerging from the Editing Cave

I feel like I’ve been in a cave since February 1st. Amazing how consuming revising and editing can be when you set a deadline. Or rather, a short deadline. Not something I want to do again, let me tell you.

But I’m starting to emerge. I’m starting to breathe easier. I’ve gone through the whole manuscript and fixed it up (even the ending, which ended up not needing THAT much changed (yay!!)). Added almost 13,000 words net to that puppy (which it needed since I tend to write dialogue-heavy). Next, I plan to print it out (maybe with a different font?) and read it that way. Sometimes the errors pop out better on paper. Don’t know why, but it does for me.

I’m really hoping I don’t find a lot that needs to be changed. I’m really hoping I fixed everything that needs to be fixed. Yeah, I really hope a lot because the truth is, I’m sure I’ll find stuff that needs to be changed and I probably didn’t fix everything. This writer can dream, though, can’t she?

So… Saturday’s hockey game in Columbus didn’t go so well. I hate that stupid cannon!! Yeah, the Penguins won 3 of the 4 games they met this season, but I was really hoping for that sweep. And I was really hoping to not hear that cannon.

See? Hoping.

But!!! They won last night against Boston (sorry, not sorry, Jeff!). Now, if they can only play well CONSISTENTLY!

Today we get our new couch delivered. I’ll have to take a picture of our great room once it’s in so you all can see it. Next furniture purchase: two bookcases. The two in my sunroom will go into the front bedroom/television room, where two matching bookcases reside. I just have to figure out what kind of bookcases I want in the sunroom. Or rather, I have to go bookcase shopping. Where would one go for bookcases, though? Besides an expensive furniture store? I’m not looking for works of art. Just something to hold books!

Happy Monday.

Stacy

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't be sorry they beat Boston!
Awesome you got through the edits. I always have to add as well as I am very description light.
Don't go to Ikea for your bookshelves. Not if you want to stay married...

Maria Zannini said...

When we bought this house it came with built in bookshelves. We had to leave two magnificent bookshelves that Greg built me at our old house. We offered one to a neighbor and the other to the people who bought our old house.

JeffO said...

Bruins didn't show up until the second period, and then it was too late. Penguins were the much better team pretty much all night, but the way the Bs have been going lately, I thought they might salvage a point at the end. Then again, Pittsburgh is a cut above Ottawa and Florida.
Good for you on your edits, nice work!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Not a fan of Ikea I take it? There is one near us and I thought about them, but not sure if they'd be sturdy enough.

Maria - Built in would be perfect. But I'm not married to that type of person! Haha!

Jeff - We got really nervous there at the end (and all those missed empty netters!!!). But then, we think the Penguins enjoy tormenting their fans. They seem to do it a lot!!!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Congrats on finishing the edits, and good luck with your next read-through!

Basic bookshelves? Craigslist, Facebook, LetGo could have some. Or there's always Walmart and Meijer.