Monday, March 25, 2019

Getting Noticed Well is Hard

I think one of the hardest things an author can do is get their name out there in a way that isn’t obnoxious so people can find their books and WANT to buy them.

Not WRITE the book. Oh no. That part is EASY compared to marketing. At least it’s easier for me.

Thing is, I’m not sure my readers read blogs. I think writers read blogs, but not so much readers. So why do I stick around?

Good question. Maybe one of these days I’ll have a good answer. Because right now? I don’t know. I do know it’s hard to think of things to blog about at times (like now).

Thank goodness there is more than just blogging. I do try other avenues, too (besides Facebook). There’s this site, bookandmainbites.com, where I can post snippets of my books so readers get examples of my writing (instead of just reading the cover copy). I’ve been really bad posting over there, mainly because it’s so time consuming finding snippets, or pictures to go with the snippets (because you have to post a picture with it and I needed to buy some pictures!). I’m aiming to get more organized now and get one snippet posted a week and see if that helps sales. I’ve been told if you’re a regular poster over there that it really does help. We’ll see. As long as I do all that work AFTER my daily writing goal, what do I have to lose? Nothing, really until they start charging me, and that will happen eventually. Hopefully by then my following will be up; otherwise, I might have to leave. I have to look at the ROI sometimes!

Would posting snippets here do any good? Hmmm… I don’t know. I mean, I got the picture, I got the snippet, guess I have nothing to lose, right? I’ll have to think about that. Maybe that can be my Friday blog thing.

And maybe THAT’S why I keep on posting. I come up with ideas as I write something for this thing. And there’s always a possibility one of you reading this is actually a future reader of my books.

This writer can dream.

So… What are you finding difficult these days?

Happy Monday.

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I keep posting because my blog is my website. And because I've connected with so many people in the blogging world. I think readers do read our blogs.
I wish the writing part was easier...

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I think the writing part would be easier if my life wasn't boring for most of the year! Haha!

Maria Zannini said...

I don't think I have any real hardships. Though I wouldn't mind having a little less pain. Getting old is not for the weak.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Ugh, marketing and promo! To the point I haven't done any in a long time - I just don't have the time and energy right now. Totally agree with you that the writing is the easy (and fun) part! I gave up trying to draw readers in to my blog. My commenters are all other writers, and I'm fine with that - I value their support (and am happy to return the favor). I mostly blog to keep in a habit, and to keep myself accountable (thank you, ROW80).

JeffO said...

Despite all the talk from agents, I'm really not sure that readers are all that interested in the musings of most writers beyond their books.

I enjoy your blog, though.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - Getting old just plain ol' sucks! :D

Jennette - Marketing definitely takes time AND effort. Ugh.

Jeff - Thanks! Nice to know I'm not boring people. :D

Erin Kane Spock said...

I find it hard to follow through with my blog and, as you said, readers don't read the blogs, writers do. But writers are readers so... Either way I'm not as active as I once was. I try to keep up Facebook but I've stepped away from Twitter because of the drama in Romancelandia. I don't know how to use Instagram effectively because no one cares to see a picture of my lunch. I just try to keep my name in circulation and put my book out there.

Mainly I try to keep writing.

I'm years away from retirement but I know we have plans and investments, I just don't know what they are and I need to be better informed. :/

Good luck to you.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Erin - Keeping up your writing is always a good thing!!