Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Wednesday Reads and I’m Sick of Snow!

Snow, snow, snow. All it seems to do is snow anymore. Especially, ESPECIALLY when I have plans. Why is that, do you suppose? And our new house is drafty. I thought something was wrong with the furnace, but now we’re suspecting the windows. I put in a warranty request right away (since the house is still under warranty). The windows should NOT be leaking. Brrrrr…

Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #13

Dates read: February 23-March 3
Title: Skinwalker
Year of publication: 2009
Author: Faith Hunter
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series:  Jane Yellowrock #1
# of Pages: 320
Paper or plastic: Paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind—a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires—and hunts the undead for a living. But now she’s been hired by Katherine Fonteneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie’s Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who’s killing other vamps.
    Amidst a bordello full of real “ladies of the night,” and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission…or else the next skin she’ll need to save may be her own.
My thoughts: I have finally decided to start reading books by authors that I have seen at Dragon Con year after year after year. And I started with this one. It’s heavy on the descriptions and a bit more dense (meaning, hardly any white space on the page) than I like, but it was enjoyable and I can see me reading more of this series. If you enjoy Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series but don’t like all the sex, then this book is for you. Don’t know if the other books in this series have sex, but this one does not. Just a lot of death and gore. You know… fun stuff.

Are you sick of winter, too? Warm weather cannot get here soon enough. Of course, then the bugs come. Ugh. Why can’t we have warm weather without the critters! I know, I gotta complain about everything. I’m blaming it on the SNOW!!!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We've just been really cold - wish we'd at least got some snow to go with it.
They better fix those windows. Drafty windows will really send your electric bill soaring.

JeffO said...

Last Friday, I had stopped at a coffee shop on my way to work. I was walking to my car and marvelling at the blue sky and the sound of cardinals singing and the generally fine weather--and I stopped and said, "Don't be fooled,it's only March 1!" And here we are, single digits overnight and another dusting of snow.

Maria Zannini said...

No snow, but plenty of cold. It's supposed to get to the 70s Friday so that's where I keep looking.

When you have farm animals, the weather is everything.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - I hope they fix the windows, too!

Jeff - We had single digits yesterday. In the teens today. It's March! I'm ready for spring!!!

Maria - I can't imagine when we'll hit the 70s again. And that probably won't last. It's like we go from winter to summer--BAM!

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I'm so done with snow. And excessive cold! Hope you get the drafts taken care of. They just put the last of the windows into my new house this week. Hope they're not drafty! I'll miss my friends and family after we move, but not the cold and snow! (Yes, we get it in TN, but a lot less!)

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - It does seem like a rather snowy winter this year, doesn't it? And they tried to tell us it would be mild. Hahahahahahaha!