Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Wednesday Reads and Getting Back to Normal

I feel like my life is back to normal!!! I’m getting my 500+ words written in the morning and I’m walking on the treadmill after. Which means…more reading. Yay! Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #16

Dates read: March 3-20
Title: The Double D Ranch
Year of publication: 2017
Author: Rochelle Bradley
Genre: Romantic comedy
Series:  Fortuna, Texas #1
# of Pages: 299
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Much to the chagrin of foreman Josiah, Jessie Davidson wants a romance reduction. But the Double D Ranch hides a secret. Since inheriting the property, Jessie kept her grandmother’s hoard concealed, but now she’s found the courage to purge the unwanted items: steamy novels, thousands of them. Romance has to go! Donating the books is a good thing, right? Not when coupled with a dare.
    The dare spirals out of control. The ante is upped when caches of the spicy books, left in barber shops, pool halls, and pubs, challenge others to join the fad. A perverted prankster runs amok playing on the town’s fantasies. Book clubs are formed. Plots acted out. In a town saturated with romance, Jessie finds her love life underdeveloped.
    Keep Jessie safe. It’s the promise Josiah Barnes made to Jessie’s dying grandmother. He aims to honor it, even if it means protecting Jessie from himself. Failing her in the past has him to high alert when the Double D becomes ground zero for the arousal avalanche sweeping the town. As a full-support, silent partner, Josiah will do anything to augment the Double D. But when Jessie starts selling handmade lingerie, keeping his hands to himself is easier said than done…
My thoughts: If you like funny named businesses and people along with your romance, you might enjoy this.

Book #17

Dates read: March 20-26
Title: The Demon’s in the Details
Year of publication: 2019
Author: Jeanne Oates Estridge
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series:  Touched by a Demon Book 2
# of Pages: 348
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: It’ll be a cold day in Hell before artist Keeffe Blackmon gives up the statue created by her late mother, a world-famous inspirational sculptor. Keeffe’s not selling—not even to a man as rich as devil’s food cake and handsome as sin—the gorgeous but morally repulsive billionaire Seth McCall. That is, until Keeffe decodes a fiendish contract and discovers she has just one month to prove she’s earning a living with her art or lose her sculpture forever.
    Demons will ice skate on the Lake of Fire before Satan puts Abaddon, aka Bad, the demon of sloth and Hell’s brainiest minion, back in charge of Hell’s technology hub. But when Satan’s stooge McCall fails to acquire the powerful statue, Bad seizes his chance. To win back his job, Bad offers to possess McCall and, with the unbeatable combination of McCall’s good looks and his own smarts, melt Keeffe into selling him the sculpture.
    As Keeffe races to complete a mural in McCall’s McMansion and earn the cash she needs to keep her statue, the billionaire blows hot one minute and cold the next. It’s almost as if he’s two different men: one a jerk, the other sweet and nerdy—and hot as Hell.
    Aboveworld for the first time, Bad finds out his heart is even bigger than his brain. He is entranced by Sedona’s stunning landscape and seduced by Keeffe’s passion for art, life, and the man she thinks she sees in McCall.
    Bad may be the smartest demon in Hell—but is he smart enough to win Keeffe’s trust and ice Satan’s devilish plan to destroy Sedona?
My thoughts: What an awesome book! Lots of twists and turns (I kept wondering how Bad and Keeffe were going to work out!). Thoroughly entertaining.

Today Hubby and I are refinancing the new house (lower interest rate and a BIG deposit!). We hope to get the house paid off in about 3 years (if all goes well). Then Hubby can retire. Although he wishes sometimes that he could do it now. And he probably could, but then we’d have to change our lifestyle and I don’t see that happening. I could probably do it. I’m not so sure he could!

So… Are you preparing for your retirement? If not, you should!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

6 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I tell my nieces and nephews they should prepare for retirement the moment they hit the workforce. No one ever listens, but I tell them anyway. :o)

I'm glad we retired early. One of the happiest days of my life was the day we paid off the house.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We refinanced when the rates dropped - it's a good idea.
Pay the house off - then retire and play.
And yes, we are preparing for it as it's coming in a few years.

JeffO said...

OK, I read the blurb for that first book and have no idea what actually happens or why. Retirement? I love my job, but would retire in a heartbeat if I could.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

The Demon's in the Details looks good! I really enjoyed the first one. Adding this to my to-be-bought list.

I am definitely preparing for retirement, with a goal to have the new house paid off in ~5 years. I'm with your hubby - I could probably retire next year, but I'm OK with working a few more years to pay for our dream house and set us up to keep living the life we want. Congrats on the paydown and refinance!

LD Masterson said...

I'm already there. I thought I'd miss working but, for the most part, I'm loving retirement. But Beloved Spouse can't give it up. He still works three days a week even though we don't need him to, financially.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - It felt really good when we paid off the old house. I want to feel that way again! :D

Alex - I look forward to more playing!

Jennette - It was an excellent book.

Linda - I am worried when Hubby retires that he'll get bored. And then he'll bug me. I don't want that. I hope his Internet business keeps him busy! And the good thing about that: he can work anywhere! :D