Monday, April 1, 2019

In Case You Didn’t Notice, It’s April Fool’s Day

Do people still pull pranks on April Fool’s Day? The local radio station I used to listen to (it no longer exists, which is too bad because I really liked it) used to play some interesting pranks. Once, they switched over to country. Good thing I knew what day it was, so I didn’t call them and give them a piece of my mind. Instead, I just turned the radio off and waited until later in the day when they went back to playing the music I enjoyed listening to (and no, it’s NOT country!). Another year they pretended to emcee a parade held on I-70. Yeah, that was bizarre. I can’t believe anyone actually fell for their pranks, but hey, you never know. Maybe that’s why they aren’t around anymore? Hmmm…

Anyway… if you see something that looks suspect today, it could end up being a prank. I thought about writing something false and then ending it in "April Fool’s!", but I procrastinated too long and never came up with anything.

On Friday, Hubby and I finally replaced our 2004 Sony 1080i HD LCD 40” TV with a Sony 4KHD LED 65” TV (and would you believe the new TV weighs LESS than the old??). While the 40” TV worked fine in our family room at the old house, it was a little farther from the seating area in the new house and just looked…small. Plus, it only had one HDMI connection, making it hard for us to connect more than one device.

I found one that was on sale at the Base Exchange and we decided to go for it. And man, what a difference. I took before and after pictures (didn’t think about turning on the TV, oh well).

This is our old set.

This is the new one. BIG!!!
It’s also a smart TV and gets Netflix and Amazon Prime and whatever other kind of streaming services are out there. One of these days we might actually check them out, too! But for now, it’s just nice to be able to see the TV from the couch and not have to squint.

Okay, so maybe it wasn’t THAT bad. But watching hockey on it now is AWESOME!!

Oh, and the Penguins are TWO POINTS away from making it into the playoffs. TWO. POINTS!! They better do it in the next game.

So… how old (and big) is your television set? Are you happy with it or looking to replace it? I can’t believe how much cheaper they are now. Our 2004 model cost over $3000. The new one? $899. Crazy, huh?  

Happy Monday.

Stacy

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Two points!!
Now you are rocking with a great television. We have Apple TV and stream everything though it. We also have Direct TV and we are considering dumping it.
Think Geek did their annual featured product prank. Sadly, you can't really order Groot Beer with Rocket Fuel.

JeffO said...

65 inches??? That's the joke, right?

That's enormous.

JeffO said...

And...

I'm waiting for someone to jump out and yell "April Fool's!" and make the 2" of snow that fell overnight disappear.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - Groot beer sounds interesting. Too bad it's fake!! :D

Jeff - No joke. It is huge. And we love it! Sorry about the snow. We got flurries here yesterday and I wasn't too happy about that. I want warmer weather!!!

Maria Zannini said...

I think the one we have now is 65 inch and curved. It's kind of cool, but the prices are way lower now than when we bought ours.

Greg wants an 80 inch screen but I put my foot down. That's way too big. The one we have now is more than big enough.

We paired it with a Bose system and seeing those blockbuster films is better than the theater. At least I can pause the movie and make a snack when I want to. :) And no noisy kids.

Tanja said...

We too noticed the drop in prices! A friend just bought large flat screen TVs for every room in her house.
If they would stop enlarging the tickers and commercial ads along sides and bottom esp. during sports, our present TV is large enough.
MY biggest problem these days though is the LOUDNESS of advertisements. Do new TVs adjust for that?

Stacy McKitrick said...

Tanja - I don't know if TVs CAN adjust for the loudness of commercials. Guess you just hit MUTE on the old remote control! Although, we normally record everything, so we just zip through the commercials. Problem solved! :D

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I don't like the curved ones. Really limits WHO can see the TV then. As for 80"? I would have loved a bigger one, but then we'd have to get a bigger stand and I wasn't willing to replace EVERYTHING. I like my stand just the way it is (and so glad the new TV fits on it).