Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Wednesday Reads and Happy Birthday to my Daughter

I picked short books because I was waiting on the book I want to read (it arrived in the mail on Monday), and then when I read the first one faster than I expected, I had to find another short book. Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #19

Dates read: April 3-5
Title: Turning Thirty-Twelve
Year of publication: 2008
Author: Sandy James
Genre: Contemporary romance/women’s fiction
Series:  N/A
# of Pages: 173
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Jackie Delgado didn’t want a new man in her life until a dreaded blind date turns out to be more exciting than she’d ever imagined. When her youngest son leaves for college, Jackie is hit hard by empty nest syndrome and pours herself into her work as a teacher. Bowing to pressure from friends, Jackie agrees to a blind date. But when Mark Brennan calls, she realizes the date won’t be “blind.” He’s the father of one of her students.
    Widower Mark Brennan isn’t looking for love. After only a few dates with Jackie, he realizes he’s quickly forming deep feelings for her. Wracked with guilt that he’s “abandoning” his late wife, Mark resists the pull toward dynamic Jackie. When Mark’s daughter begins to date Jackie’s son, things become more complicated.
    Can Jackie and Mark find the courage to leave the past behind and embrace a new love? And how will a surprise pregnancy affect all their lives?
My thoughts: I have a hard time calling something a “romance” when it’s in first person, thus the slash “women’s fiction” label. I bought this book sooooo long ago, when the author spoke at my old Cincinnati RWA chapter. And it sat on my shelf because it’s first person contemporary/women’s fiction. But surprise, surprise! I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was told so well in the way I enjoy first person. And it had humor. I love humor.

Book #20

Dates read: April 6-7
Title: Free Falling
Year of publication: 2012
Author: S.E. Jakes
Genre: M/M romance
Series:  Extreme Escapes, Ltd.
# of Pages: 112
Paper or plastic: Trade paperback
How obtained: Free from some convention
Blurb from book: Blue is a thief who lives for adrenaline and anger. And when he meets Mick, a mercenary, he’s hit with a buzz of attraction like the rush of a high-rise job without a safety rope. But after making plans to get together, Mick leaves him hanging and Blue vows never again.
    A year later, Mick watches helplessly as Blue stumbles into the middle of one of Mick’s jobs. Risking his cover and their lives, Mick saves Blue and cares for him as he recuperates, but neither man has any idea how to handle the intimacy this forces them into.
    Once blue is safe, Mick redoubles his efforts to take down the drug lord responsible—and disappears. Blue goes after him, determined to return the favor and rescue the man he loves, no matter the cost.
My thoughts: Kind of a thin story. And most of the sex (and there was quite a bit) was due to some drug. Yeah, there was attraction between the two, but I would have preferred their first “coupling” be from want, not need. Still an entertaining read, but could have been so much more.

Today this little girl (seen here with her brother) turns 34! Gosh, where have the years gone?
Happy Birthday, Stephanie!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Happy birthday, Stephanie!

LD Masterson said...

A very happy birthday to Stephanie. If you figure out where those years have snuck off to, please let me know.