Monday, April 24, 2023

Reading and Cruise Updates

We’re back at sea for a few days before we hit our last port: Cabo San Lucas. I’m still getting used to the time difference, even though we’ve been turning the clocks back slowly over the last 8 days. I think my body just wants to be on Eastern Time.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 19

Dates read: April 16-21, 2023
Title: The Vampire Hunter
Year of publication: 2014
Author: Michelle Hauf
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: In the Company of Vampires #2/Beautiful Creatures #30
# of Pages: 210
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Live to serve. Serve until death. Die fighting.
    A vampire hunter finds himself powerless to resist a bewitching stranger's dangerous magic.
    In all his years battling the undead, Kaz has never seen bloodlust like this. And as a knight in the Order of the Stake, it's up to him to find out who's responsible for the mayhem sweeping the streets of Paris and put a stop to it. Kaz's task becomes infinitely more complicated when an attractive witch wants to help.

    With her quirky charm and irresistibly kissable lips, Zoe just feels right to Kaz, the way no woman ever has before. But as a sworn enemy of the supernatural, can he really trust a witch? Especially one with dangerous secrets of her own?
My thoughts: It felt good to get back to an actual paranormal romance (those are written in 3rd person and provide more than one point of view—my opinion as I realize this isn’t everyone’s opinion). I’ve read lots of books in the second-named series, don’t think I’ve gotten to them all, though. They are fun reads and wildly romantic. I love the romance.

I can now say I’ve been to South America! Took a little tour around Santa Marta and the same in Cartegena, Columbia (although part of our tour was on a boat around the harbor, with an open bar—hubby was happy). Santa Marta doesn’t have many cruise ships visit in their season (only about 12), but Cartegena gets lots (over 200). They call it Little Miami. I called it Chaos. Street vendors number close to 20 to every 1 tourist. And they don’t leave you alone, either. I’ve never seen it so bad at other ports (and it’s gotten bad). It’s like they can’t take no for an answer.

After Columbia, we went through the Panama Canal. A very slow process (started at 7:30am, ended after 5:30pm). But we’re now on the Pacific Ocean. Yesterday we visited Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Hubby and I tried zip lining for the first time. It was really fun! Didn’t care for the walk down from the last zip line (there were 8), but it’s something I would definitely do again.

It’s been nice walking on the jogging track in the mornings that we don’t have an excursion. Well, all mornings besides today. Yesterday’s excursion really took a lot out of me (and my shoes!), so I’m taking a break (or rather, giving my shoes a break?).

Happy Reading!

Stacy

3 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, breaks and all (for both your shoes and you!).

Stacy McKitrick said...

Ivy, It's been lots of fun (and relaxing).

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that! That's how I feel about chalking painting and building furniture. Relaxing and fun.