Monday, April 10, 2023

Reading Update and Happy Birthday to my Daughter

Today is my daughter’s 38th birthday. She’s my baby! I’m not sorry I’m on this cruise during her birthday (I was on one during my son’s, so it’s only fair, right?), but we made sure we celebrated it before we left. I can’t believe how fast time is flying by!

Happy Birthday, Sweetie! I love you!!!

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 14

Dates read: April 6-10, 2023
Title: A Hope Divided
Year of publication: 2017
Author: Alyssa Cole
Genre: Historical romance
Series: The Loyal League #2
# of Pages: 257
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: The Civil War has turned neighbor against neighbor--but for one scientist spy and her philosopher soldier, war could bind them together . . .
    For three years of the War Between the States, Marlie Lynch has helped the cause in peace: with coded letters about anti-Rebel uprisings in her Carolina woods, tisanes and poultices for Union prisoners, and silent aid to fleeing slave and Freeman alike. Her formerly enslaved mother's traditions and the name of a white father she never knew have protected her--until the vicious Confederate Home Guard claims Marlie's home for their new base of operations in the guerilla war against Southern resistors of the Rebel cause.

    Unbeknowst to those under her roof, escaped prisoner Ewan McCall is sheltering in her laboratory. Seemingly a quiet philosopher, Ewan has his own history with the cruel captain of the Home Guard, and a thoughtful but unbending strength Marlie finds irresistible.
    When the revelation of a stunning family secret places Marlie's freedom on the line, she and Ewan have to run for their lives into the hostile Carolina night. Following the path of the Underground Railroad, they find themselves caught up in a vicious battle that could dash their hopes of love--and freedom--before they ever cross state lines.

My thoughts: Very emotional read (meaning a lot of it angered me, probably in a good way) and I learned a lot more about the Civil War. Sometimes I feel like we’re still fighting that war, too. Oh well… The romance was great. I loved their times together (which helped with my anger, I suppose). I don’t usually read historical romances, except if the history is in the USA. I understand that history a lot more than what a duke or such is, and I do like to understand what I’m reading! FYI: You don’t have to have read the first book in this series to enjoy this one. They are only related to the time period and missions taking place.

Today we’re docked at Grand Turk. So far the weather looks promising. Yesterday we were in Half Moon Cay. The weather was absolutely wonderful. We rode bikes and hiked up to the highest point: 60 feet! My legs felt it later, and so did the rest of my body, but I had such a fun time, it was worth it. Today I feel energized, but our excursion this afternoon is not very taxing (which is probably a good thing). Actually, it involves painting. We’ll see how we do.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy birthday to your daughter and glad the weather is good.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - So far I've gotten very lucky where weather is concerned on our cruises. **knock on wood**