Saturday, April 29, 2023

Reading Update and Still Cruising

The internet (wifi) on this cruise is frustrating me more than usual. Maybe because I’ve been on this ship for 20 some days. It’s pretty bad when you can’t even get Carnival’s app to come up (and you don’t need to purchase the internet plan to use it). But it’s only frustrating me a little. Hubby found out that he can’t log into his work. Partly because of how slow the system gets (and he purchased the highest tier plan) and partly because his work has made two-factor identification impossible on a slow system. At least Hubby doesn’t need to bother lugging around the work laptop on future cruises since he can’t use it.

Here’s what I read since my last update:

Book 21

Dates read: April 25-26, 2023
Title: Becoming Dragon
Year of publication: 2016
Author: Eve Langlais
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series: Dragon Point #1
# of Pages: 175
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from Goodreads: Dragon Point isn’t a place, but rather a society, a secret one. And humans aren’t invited.
    I’m a monster. That’s what Brandon thinks when he flees the medical institute that changed him. Living a normal life isn’t in the cards for him because, while he can hide his scaly skin, his wings are hard to miss. So he runs and lives in the shadows where monsters belong. What he didn’t expect to find were others just like him, and they call themselves dragons. Or so Aimi with the violet eyes tells him when she pins him to the ground.
    Seriously, though, dragons?
    He doesn’t want to believe, but the evidence is mounting. Not helping his resolve is the fact that the woman with the silver hair doesn’t fear the monster and wants to claim him.
    However, before he can think of his own happiness, he has to rescue his little sister. Uncle Theo kidnapped her, and Brandon will do anything to get her back, even if he must embrace the monster within to become the dragon.

My thoughts: I liked this. The humor was great, too. I just had a tiny problem with the beginning of this story, but overall I liked the characters.

Book 22

Dates read: April 26-28, 2023
Title: The Last Goodnight
Year of publication: 2021
Author: Kat Martin
Genre: Romantic suspense
Series: Blood Ties #1
# of Pages: 297
Paper or plastic: Nook book
How obtained: Got free for my B&N membership
Blurb from Goodreads: When Kade Logan said goodbye to his estranged wife eight years ago, he never thought it would be the last time he saw her alive. Now her car has been hauled out of a nearby lake and Kade is determined to track down the man who murdered her. Enter Eleanor Bowman, a talented private investigator who’s about to stir up a hornet’s nest on his Colorado ranch.
    With old scandals still buzzing about his late wife’s many affairs and new violence erupting, Kade is faced with the discovery of another beautiful woman’s body. Are the two killings linked? Who is the man who seduced, then murdered both victims? Ellie believes they are dangerously close to the truth.
    From corporate Denver high-rises to posh Vail mansions, Kade and Ellie sense the killer is closing in again, and this time Ellie is the target. Kade must risk everything to save the woman he’s coming to love—before she becomes the next one to die . . .

My thoughts: I had really hoped to have found a new series to read when I picked this book from my choices from B&N (they offer me a free ebook once a month because I’m a member), but Kade’s jealously got on my nerves. I enjoyed the story (the suspense), but the romance…not so much.

I tell you, the weather has definitely changed once we hit the Pacific Ocean. I’m surprised we had awesome weather in Cabo San Lucas (it was cold and overcast the day before and the day after and still is cold and overcast). That place is so cool, though. I don’t know how many times we were told Cabo is a desert with an ocean, but it sure is pretty to me. The breeze was definitely cooler on the pacific side than the gulf side. We had a fun day seeing the sights. It might even be fun to just fly down there and spend a few days, too. Don’t know if we’ll ever get around to that, but we wouldn’t object to doing it!

Happy Reading!

Stacy

No comments: