Friday, November 16, 2018

Ice and Snow, I Finished, and…Comments

Woke up yesterday to everything covered in ice. I couldn’t even see out the windows because they were coated. Then later it started snowing on top of all that ice. It was a pretty yucky day.

I am so not ready for winter.

I Finished!!!
That’s right. I finished my short story on Wednesday. Boy what a great feeling that was. It had been tooooo long since I’ve felt that way, too. It’s currently at 10K words, but that’s okay. It has to be between 8-12K long. I even got a blurb going, but I’m hoping to get some eyes on it before I share it here (or on my newsletter).

But it’s written. And I’m sooooo happy!

Commenting on my blog
I don’t get many comments on my blog, probably because not a lot of you read this. Does that make me sad? Ehh, sometimes. It is what it is. Doesn’t mean I’ll stop blogging because one of these days my books will hit it big and… Well, you know.

Still… I thought that I allowed anyone with an ID to comment on this blog. Seems Blogger changed something along the way (or I’m crazy—which is highly possible, too) and I only have three choices for receiving comments: From Anyone (including anonymous), from Google Users, or from members of my blog.

Since I’m the only member of my blog, I certainly didn’t choose that. And I have chosen “Anyone” in the past, but got hit spam. So my blog is marked for “Google Users,” which is where I thought it used to say something about other types of IDs, too.

Now, I know not everyone has a Google account, but if I change it back to “Anyone,” I might as well turn on modifications and approve each comment. And I’m not so sure I want to do that, either. That’s because I don’t always get notified of comments.

I can thank AOL for that. It doesn’t like to recognize my OWN comments!

What do you think? Should I open the comments up to “Anyone” knowing that it might be a few hours before your comment appears? And I realize if you can’t comment on this blog, it would be kind of hard to answer, so you can e-mail me (address is listed on this blog in a few places).

For now I’ll leave it at Google users. It’s only if I get enough of you who don’t have Google and wish to comment that I’ll change it. Because I know how frustrating it is to read a blog and not be able to comment. I tend to not visit those blogs again.

Happy Friday!

Stacy

8 comments:

JeffO said...

Guess that means it's time to go back and check my settings, too.

We're in the midst of our first big winter storm today, supposedly up to a foot of snow in some places, I can't quite tell how much is here now. Not time to shovel yet.

Congrats on finishing your story!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Don't you just love how Blogger will change things and NOT tell you? And good luck with the snow storm. Hope you don't get that much!

Maria Zannini said...

You can try "Anyone" and see how it goes.

I know I won't comment on anything that insists on me joining Google+. I love Google but I don't want to join any more social media platforms.

This time of year too is not the best time to decide either. People are busy with the holidays. There's always a slump around this time and again at the height of summer (usually July).

Stacy McKitrick said...

Maria - I HATE those blogs that only allow Google+. I have a Google+ account and have problems commenting! That's why I turned that sucker off on this blog.

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Congrats on finishing the story!

I think most people who are online in the US have a Google account. But I won't comment on blogs that use Discus, because I don't want to sign up for another account.

Silver in AZ said...

I thought Google killed Google + about 1-2 weeks ago?

Anyhow, sorry I brought up this whole can of worms.

Shari said...

Be careful about comments--keep 'em moderated, or if you have the option to allow others you have previously approved. It was via my comments form my own author webpage got hacked so well, I had to pay GoDaddy to dive into the malicious code so I could even be my own admin again!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yeah, I'm reluctant to sign up for anymore anything. My housing development has a site they want me to join. I said NOOOOOO!

Silver - No problems. I really want people to be able to comment here. And I didn't know about Google+. I have a "page" there, but rarely use it. So maybe it's gone now? Hmmmm...

Shari - Oh, if I change it to "Anyone", I'll definitely moderate the comments. Not fair to those who subscribe to see that kind of junk. My website doesn't have any kind of way to comment, so it's just Blogger for me.