Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Wednesday Reads and Book Contests

Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #47

Dates read: October 26-November 2
Title: Vampires Like it Hot
Year of publication: 2018
Author: Lynsay Sands
Genre: Paranormal romance
Series:  Argeneau #28
# of Pages: 372
Paper or plastic: Mass market paperback
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: “Vampires…” When Raffaele Notte pulls a barely dressed, disoriented woman from the ocean, the last thing he expects is for her to utter that word. The immortal has come to the island resort to help his cousin, but now, it seems, there are rogue vampires dining on unsuspecting tourists. And he soon realizes that not only is Jess a target, she’s also the life mate he’s been waiting for…
    Vampires are real. Jess would’ve never believed it until she saw them with her own eyes. She knows she has to get off the island, and her gallant rescuer has offered to help. There’s something about Raffaele that’s unlike any man she has ever met, and his touch sends pleasure through her that is beyond all imagining. But when Jess discovers who he really is will she risk life as she knows it for a chance of forever by his side?
My thoughts: The twenty-eighth in the series and I’m STILL not tired of them. They’re so much fun to read. One of the best series out there if you’re looking for paranormal, romance, and a bit of comedy.

Book Contests
I debated on whether or not to enter Ghostly Interlude into the Ritas (RWA published book contest). In order to enter I have to judge and all the entries are on pdfs (plus, I can’t read my favorite genre because I entered my book in it). Ugh! I hate reading pdfs (and we all know how I feel about contemporary romances). But I caved and entered my book anyway. Figured I don’t get a new book out all that often, might as well enter it into all the contests it’s eligible for. Maybe one of these days I’ll actually final (and yes, I’d be happy just to do that).

So… What do you think about book contests? Good publicity (if you final) or a waste of time and money? I still haven’t figured out which it is, but I can’t seem to stay away. I always have hope.

Happy Reading!

Stacy

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Why pdf files? Odd. Hey, you entered and that's great. My books have won a few contests but it's not something I'd pour money into.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Alex - RWA went 100% digital last year and instead of accepting epub or mobi, they only accept pdfs. I guess some people (trad publishers) feel those are less likely to be pirated. What a joke. And kind of a slap in the face for everyone who's judging, too (which are mostly RWA members).

Jennette Marie Powell said...

PDFs - ugh, what a pain. I'm not in RWA anymore, but I don't think I'd enter the RITA - contests are so subjective, they're just a crapshoot, not to mention competing against some really big-name authors. I figure my chances of even getting a final are so slim it's a waste of money. Then again, who knows? You can't win unless you enter, so good luck with yours!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - Yep, can't win unless you enter. At least I don't have to mail in the books anymore (money saver).