Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday Reads and I Reached My Goal!

Whoo hoo! I reached my reading goal. Not that I plan on stopping there. Here’s what I finished reading this week:

Book #50

Dates read: November 23-24
Title: Elevation
Year of publication: 2018
Author: Stephen King
Genre: Paranormal?
Series:  N/A
# of Pages: 146
Paper or plastic: Hard back
How obtained: Purchased
Blurb from book: Castle Rock is a small town, where word gets around quickly. That’s why Scott Carey wants to confide only in his friend Doctor Bob Ellis about his strange condition: he’s losing weight, without getting thinner, and the scales register the same whether he is in his clothes or out of them, no matter how heavy they are.
    Scott also has new neighbors who have opened a “fine dining experience” in town, although it’s an experience being shunned by the locals: Deirdre McComb and her wife Missy Donaldson don’t exactly conform to a lifestyle the community approves of. And now Scott seems trapped in a feud with the couple over their dogs dropping their business on his lawn. Missy may be warm and friendly but Deirdre is cold as ice.
    As the town prepares for its annual Thanksgiving 12K run, Scott begins to understand the prejudices the women face, and tries to help. Unlikely alliances form, and the mystery of Scott’s affliction brings out the best in people who have indulged the worst in themselves and others.
My thoughts: Interesting story. Not sure of the genre. Definitely not horror. Just…weird. Is that a genre? Went quick once I was able to get time to read it. There were lessons in this story for sure, but I have a feeling those people who need to learn them won’t bother picking up the book to read.

So… How are you doing on your reading goals? Or did you not set any?

Happy Reading!

Stacy

7 comments:

JeffO said...

I don't set reading goals, but I'm behind! Just read Elevation myself and found it strangely optimistic for King. I might actually review it (sort of) on my blog next week.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - How can you be behind something you haven't set? :) And I am curious...what genre would you say Elevation is?

Unknown said...

Merry christmas wallpapers
happy new year to all my family and friends

Jennette Marie Powell said...

I don't set specific reading goals, but this year, I wanted to read more nonfiction, and I've definitely done that - I've read almost as much nf as fiction! Learned a lot, too.

Elevation looks interesting, might have to check it out.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jennette - The only non-fiction books I've read recently were books on writing.

JeffO said...

Two days later, I say, "I've only read about 2 books since the end of September! That's not enough!"

AS for Elevation: would it qualify as 'magical realism'? I think that's where I would put it.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Jeff - Magic realism? Hmmm... It's not the kind of magic I think of when I hear "magic." Now, if someone had put a spell on him... :)